2015 Rotax Masters Driver Lineup

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton
City/Town: Calgary

2015 Rotax Masters Driver Lineup

Post by SteveO »

With the warm weather making everyone dream about racing on our new track, I thought I'd post a list of drivers that I believe plan on racing in the Rotax Masters class this year:
  • Mario Gimeniz
  • Lonnie Ganz
  • Josh Carter
  • Stephen Orton
  • Dan Peet
  • Peter Magee
  • Peter Sammon
  • Iain McVean
  • Nathan Rogers
  • Neil Allen
  • Chris Matthews
  • Thomas Matthews
  • Dave Henning
  • Mike Wright
  • Kyle Ho
  • Terry Hughes?
  • John Peters
  • Ray Lord
  • Brian Taylor
We've lost a few drivers as Team Live Fast (Garrett Smith, Chris George & Rob McFadyen) have moved to the shifter class, and both Ashley Hughes & Brendon Sanguinetti have indicated that they will be racing against kids their own size.

If I've missed anyone, please let me know.
Last edited by SteveO on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stephen Orton

Bainesy36
First Name: Nigel
Last Name: Baines

Re: 2015 Rotax Masters Driver Lineup

Post by Bainesy36 »

I plan on running in the Masters class too, as I'm 36 and therefore I believe I'm eligible. However, I only weigh in at about 150lbs soaking wet, so a little concerned about the amount of weight I would need to add!

This will be my rookie season in Karting, so a lot to learn I'm sure.

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

You and are are very similar (and unusual) in weight. In Rotax Sr, I had about 35 lbs of lead on my kart. To go to Masters, I would have had to add another 35. It can be done but it's madness !

Consider running in Rotax Sr. and see how it goes. You can always switch classes.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Bainesy36

Post by Bainesy36 »

Ouch, that's a lot to add!

Maybe Rotax Sr is a better fit. I'm guessing that running in both classes on the same day is even more impractical? ;)

SteveO

Post by SteveO »

Ah, the pain of being the 'ideal' sized driver.

There are a few drivers your weight that have run with the Masters group, but it's never any fun lifting the kart from the kart stand. You don't have to be in a rush to make a decision yet, but the Senior group might make the most sense, but they are faster. In the past, I would have said more aggressive, but in 2013, I don't think that really applied, since we had such a large and strong field. Both classes are large enough, that you'll find someone to race with.

The Masters & Seniors groups generally run back to back, so it would be impossible to run both. But, this does allow those that want to run both 4-stroke & Rotax to make it work. But that is exhausting...

Once you figure out exactly how much weight you actually need to add to your kart to meet each classes minimum weight, will dictate where you want to run.

The nice thing about being a lighter driver is that you can strategically place the weight where you want to suit your driving style.
Stephen Orton

Bainesy36

Post by Bainesy36 »

Thanks for the informative reply Steve. I guess I'll figure it out in the next couple of months. :)

SputnikRSS
First Name: Roger
Last Name: Smetaniuk
City/Town: Sylvan Lake

Post by SputnikRSS »

So this is where Dan Peet went.

Car looks a little different but the number is the same.

Chancery24
First Name: Ray
Last Name: Lord

Post by Chancery24 »

Planning to join the fray in the CKRC Rotax masters as well - in the advanced +50 yrs group? :D I relocated from the west coast last year (due to a job transfer move). Been racing for about 11 years in the ROK masters class with the Westwood then West Coast Kart Club at the Greg Moore track in Chilliwack B.C. Will be migrating over to a ROTAX for the first time..looking forward to getting involved and to meeting more of the local group.

Now if I could just get used to the karting season not starting until May!
Ray Lord
Rotax Masters
CRG Road Rebel #94

SteveO

Post by SteveO »

Welcome to the Masters class & Calgary in general!

You're definitely with the right group; there is a lot of grey & silver hair in our class.
Even though the season starts later compared to the west coast, we'll still be doing Test & Tune laps late in the evening, when the folks on the wet coast have gone to bed.

We've got a great group of people racing Masters, and we look forward to you joining our class.
Stephen Orton

Rob Kozakowski
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Kozakowski
City/Town: Edmonton, AB

Post by Rob Kozakowski »

I know a few of us older guys from Edmonton will try to make it down for a few races...

At the very least, those Alberta Series races could see some grids of 30+ if everyone shows up.