2016 Shifter Rules/Guidlines

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Nathan B
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Bartley
City/Town: Calgary

2016 Shifter Rules/Guidlines

Post by Nathan B »

There was some talk and suggestions last year regarding an outline of the rules for shifter racing at our club. Below is what we settled on. If everyone takes a look and is still in agreement we can put these into effect. Note the difference between Rule/guideline. Rules are a potential DQ and the guidelines are just a gentlemen's set of rules to promote fair racing, if you didn't meet the guideline requirements your race result would still be valid, just not in the spirit of the club.

1) Rules
- 125cc max displacement
- Gas & oil fuel - VP race gas, Fury 108, and Premium gas for DD2
- ASN Safety regs including full width rear bumper
- Tires - CIK Medium compound (Bridgestone YLB, MG Yellow, Vega Blue) or Mojo D2 or D3, rain tires open
- Airboxes mandatory for noise regulations
- Must meet 87 Decibel noise guidelines
- Min Weight 385lb

2) Guidlines
-Engine Type Open including DD2, ICC, Stock Moto/Mod Moto ect... Recommended purchase is Stock Moto or ICC.

-Class Recommendation
- Stock Moto with Min weight 385lb
- ICC with Min weight of 410lb

-Notes for Mod Moto - Mod is considered any honda engine that would not meet SKUSA Regulations, as you add hp it would be suggested to add lead approaching the ICC recommended weight

3) Race Format - Varied between

a) Standard Qualifying- Pre-final/Final
b) Pea Pick Qualifying Race - Reverse Order Pre-final - Final

-DD2 to start back of grid.
Last edited by Nathan B on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Re: 2016 Shifter Rules/Guidlines

Post by Mark »

It would be a good idea to define what constitutes a "mod moto" and address what -if any- weight differences.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

Added a bit of description for Mod Moto

Rob Kozakowski
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Kozakowski
City/Town: Edmonton, AB

Post by Rob Kozakowski »

I spent this past weekend at SIMA, and just as a point of reference, I thought I'd share my observations on what I saw from an awesome shifter race...

It was a battle at the front between 4 top-notch drivers, all on good equipment, with MG Yellows... 3 running TM K9ES TAG engines (de-tuned from full ICC/KZ), and one on a Stock Moto, all at 385 lbs. It looked to me as if the Honda had a fraction more than the TAG shifters down the straights (it was able to pull alongside into the braking zones), whereas the TAG shifters appeared to have a bit more "driveability" (more user friendly - smooth - power delivery around the corners and on throttle application). Lap times were almost identical.

Anyways, given that CKRC's weight recommendations follow the rules used at SIMA, if the parity between the different engines at SIMA is in any way indicative of what to expect elsewhere, the CKRC recommendations are probably pretty solid.

BANZracing
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Taylor

Post by BANZracing »

I'm in support of this, Nathan.

Brian
IAME/PCR

Gerhard8020
First Name: Gerhard
Last Name: Roets
City/Town: Cochrane

Post by Gerhard8020 »

Me too, I like the regulations. Thanks Nathan.

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

This all looks good and feasible. I would suggest a few things:

1. To allow another race fuel in addition to VP, which would be Fury 108. Same specs as VP C12 but cheaper and available in Alberta.
2. Have a class meeting or at least email the class participants and bring their attention to this forum thread and ratify this discussion so that they can be implemented into the supplementary regulations for the coming season.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

Added the Fuel there John. Does the executive have an email list for all the shifter guys? If so send it my way and I will direct them to the forum.

Nathan

Bainesy36
First Name: Nigel
Last Name: Baines

Post by Bainesy36 »

Looks good to me.

Now I just need to figure out a way to get on the grid this year!

Nige

CrazyRC
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Carruthers
City/Town: Airdrie

Post by CrazyRC »

Is there a particular reason we're defining brands of race gas? VP has a multitude of variations. MS109 is the most commonly used, but why are we defining this? Define a "motor" octane limit if necessary (more accurate octane measurement than "research" octane, both will be displayed on product data sheet) I've run VP, Fuse, Gulf etc. I'm not sure I see the reason for specifying this.