New Shifter Drver - Pointers / Suggestions

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Jaro51
First Name: Jaro
Last Name: Wardwell
City/Town: Calgary

New Shifter Drver - Pointers / Suggestions

Post by Jaro51 »

I'm the proud owner of a new to me shifter kart! I raced Rotax back in '05 for a season but haven't been in a kart since other than a try a kart session a couple of weeks where I tried a shifter and tasted the forbidden fruit :D

So what are some good suggestions to minimize the frustration for the steep learning curve ahead?

I see myself practicing this year and maybe hitting a race or 2 later in the season if I feel I'm getting up to speed. The focus this year is to learn to drive the thing and have some fun. Is it possible for someone to send me a track map with typical gear change points so I can work on visualizing a lap and train my brain for the shifts. I have a TM K9B motor and will get the gearing in the 1.61-1.63 range as noted in the other thread.

Can't wait to get out there and start putting in the laps!

JW

Bainesy36
First Name: Nigel
Last Name: Baines

Re: New Shifter Drver - Pointers / Suggestions

Post by Bainesy36 »

Welcome to the 'Gentleman's' club JW (this is what they tell me anyway ;)). As for gear shift ideas or tips, I don't really have any being new to shifter myself, however I believe the gearing you'll need will be pretty much 17/27, maybe 17/26 for CW. Here are a few video's of onboard footage at North Star which might help with shifting, although laps will be your best bet....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EHZ9JiDqlNo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pyo__j249ss
https://youtu.be/UnGhdYBNGO8

Other things to note are Water Temps/Jetting/Tyre Pressures. Ideally the kart will run around 52c-55c and power will tail off beyond that. Don't get hard into the gas before 48-50c and try to make sure the motor is jetted rich to begin with (I believe a 150 Main Jet is a good place to start, but run your carb settings by Joey at Overdrive Motorsports if you haven't already). On MG Yellow tyres, I believe cold tyre pressures should be in the 12-13psi range to start and then you can tune from there.

Have fun out there and don't be afraid to ask any questions here, at practice or at race days. Shifter guys are friendly (as you long as you also drive a shifter :D ;)) Oh, and build up the strength in your left arm as it will do all the steering!

Nige #36
Arrow/Vortex

Nathan B
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Bartley

Post by Nathan B »

Biggest tips I can give for our track are as follows

1) The majority of the tight corners are all about braking hard and late inside what would be the normal rotax racing line. We have a lot of tight corners that can be almost impossible to carry smooth speed through while balancing braking, gas, and shifting ( you will get lots of hop). So the quick way through is to go hard and late on the brakes, one quick turn towards the apex, then stomp on it for a great exit.

2) Put your brake balance to the front... I run 90-10 or so... some other guys may not be quite that aggressive, (but either are their lap times Nigel ;) )

3) With the 17/27 gearing the shifting will be pretty obvious to you, never let the kart bog, if you can't carry the speed to keep it in the power band, make sure you go down an extra gear. Turn 1 is 4th gear for me, turn 14 is 5th, both of the hairpins go down to second, the other tight ones around the bull bag 5/7/8 are 3rd, 9 is 4th.

4) My biggest piece of advice, is get your self in shape and push hard. If you aren't coming off the track dripping wet after 10 laps you are taking easy and you will be slow. Our track is extremely physical and you need push hard to be quick. Coasting on the gas, braking early, not hitting curbs are not going to get you up to the pace.

Nathan

BANZracing
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Taylor

Post by BANZracing »

What he said, above. Especially point 4, except I'm soaked and gasping for air by lap 6.

Brian

Jaro51
First Name: Jaro
Last Name: Wardwell

Post by Jaro51 »

Great advice all, thanks for the pointers! I have my fingers crossed to get out next week for some laps and see how it goes. I'm super stoked to get out there, I can't wait!