4 Stroke Open Class

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
david_351

4 Stroke Open Class

Post by david_351 »

Hey again guys, while I am still leaning more towards competing in the LO206 class, I still have some questions regarding the open class. I know the open class can't compete for the championship, but when building a clone motor for the open class, are there any technical regulations at all, or would I be free to try some custom stuff? What type of technical requirements would I have to meet? Would I be able to build a one off motor to any specs I wanted? Also, how many people plane to run in the open class? And lastly does is there a seperate open class for 2 and 4 stroke, or do the two open classes have to run together? Thanks for anyone able to answer my questions.

Regards,

David McGrath

wilsondolan

Re: 4 Stroke Open Class

Post by wilsondolan »

Hi David,

There actually is a "Open" Championship, however the turnout has been quite minimal in the past years, and I don't believe there has been a champion in this class for a few years now. However if you were to run this class you would be able to score points for it. As for rules, generally what the open class means is you are open to run what ever rule book you want. So in theory you could do some custom work to a motor, you would just have to find a set of rules that had that gave you that freedom. As long as a motor conforms to the rules of the class that it is intended for (for example the EDKRA's outlaw class) your good to go in open.

As for 2 and 4 stroke stuff there is only one open class. The Open class is designed to allow racers to run any class they want, that isn't an official class at the CKRC. In theory they should be ran on track at the same time, however it has been a few years since there has been anyone actually contending for the championship. So in the rare instance that there are multiple open racers, and with large differences in horsepower, the class is usually broken down, and the slower kart(s) with the Sr. 4 strokes, and the more powerful kart(s) with the Shifters. Should there be an actual championship battle in the class they would have to be ran together to achieve a fair result.

Regards,