engine oil

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
d4rk5trok3r
First Name: jason
Last Name: thorell
City/Town: calgary

engine oil

Post by d4rk5trok3r »

Hi again!

I have an engine oil question. I searched the forum first, to avoid missing a sticky, or previous thread. Didn't find anything to really answer.

What are people using in the lo206? I know that amsoil is the recommended, and not available in Canada, so an alternative amsoil exists. Also, redline is a popular premium product. But, what are all'yall' using in your lo206?

I was planning on just using a synthetic 4-stroke, and changing after every day. But, would be open for advice / suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Team 75
First Name: Wendell
Last Name: Dunning
City/Town: Edmonton

Re: engine oil

Post by Team 75 »

This is a response from Briggs

Amsoil 4T will be available early Summer but two oils that can be a bridge is Redline karting oil or Amsoil Dominator. Redline is overbuilt and Dominator is a rare automotive oil that has chemistry in it to prevent foaming. In the long run I would tell you to look for the release of 4T. If you look at Amsoils site you can see by the testing results that it is simply the best at wear, operating temperature, and shear strength against what is out there. You also have better protection from contaminant dilution (rust, combustion, fuel) due to the additives package.

d4rk5trok3r
First Name: jason
Last Name: thorell
City/Town: calgary

Post by d4rk5trok3r »

So in the mean time.......everybody is using redline, or the super oil?

I used to race x-country / hare scramble. And, when I started I used amsoil, but since I changed my oil every day I rode, I just poured in regular ol' non fancy generic oil. Does the same not really apply to a super basic, ohc kart engine? Like the piston head in my bike was as thick as a taco chip, and nearly everything was made from aluminum!

DaveC
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Cameron
City/Town: Calgary

Post by DaveC »

I personally just use the Red Line for karts (http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=88&pcid=26), after break-in.
Overdrive and Mopac both have in stock usually. I hear some folks use automotive synthetic, but that's pit talk. Will be nice when the 4T gets here.
Dave Cameron
Briggs Masters #12

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W20.

You can get it on sale for about $30 a jug.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Team 75
First Name: Wendell
Last Name: Dunning
City/Town: Edmonton

Post by Team 75 »

Have been using Redline for 12 years

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

I believe there is an Amsoil dealer in town .. cant he get it ?

Matt Bradley
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Bradley
City/Town: Dalmeny, Sk.

Post by Matt Bradley »

My Amsoil guy says Amsoil told him that Amsoil Dominator 5w20 is the same as the stuff labelled for Briggs in the U.S.