Meeting

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Joey Guyon
First Name: Joey
Last Name: Guyon
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Meeting

Post by Joey Guyon »

Hi Wendell,

Sorry for the delay, I just came back from testing and like 6.5's on 180's.

:geek:

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

The "open" tire rule has served this class pretty well so far and with the Vega tire being stickier than the Mojo D2, keeping with the open tire rule will most likely continue as the Vega tire will be the most economical and best performing tire available. With the limited horsepower of the Briggs engine, there could possibly be an advantage to racing with the 6.5 with less rolling resistance vs the 7.1 with the larger footprint. The West Coast club has been using 6.5's on 210 rims to lessen the amount of sidebite. I think the performance difference between the 6.5 and 7.1 will be negligible and driving style and set-up will still be the determining factors.

One of the advantages of being able to use the 7.1 will be the ability to use cast-offs from the Rotax drivers keeping budgets as low as they have been when using the Mojos. At the beginning of the season, pretty much everyone will have to invest in a new set of tires to start the season. From testing we were able use the Vega Blue tires for over 225 laps without them falling off and with tread depth holes still showing. So it will be quite some time before any cast off tires are available.

If in the future there is a big race in Western Canada, it will probably be CKRC or EDKRA hosting it. Collectively we have the largest numbers of Briggs and can dictate the rules for these races that we would want to host. So for our club racing, with the continued open tire rule, competitors could run 6.5 or 7.1 tires on whatever rear rim they choose up to a 55" rear width.

6.5 on 180 rims for J2 makes sense but that can be handled in that forum.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

DaveC
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Cameron

Post by DaveC »

John, are you suggesting we keep the open rule as-is?

If so, I agree with the suggestion.

If in the future there is a "big race in Western Canada" and tires different than mine are required, my attendance is always my decision.

Do we need a meeting to not change the rules for tires? I think the weight question is still outstanding.
Dave Cameron
Briggs Masters #12

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

If it wasn't apparent already, I am volunteering as the Briggs class rep.

If there is consensus or no real opposition to leaving the tire rule as it stands now, then a meeting to decide or ratify this is not needed. The weight proposition was brought up at last years meeting with the knowledge that CKRC would probably follow the ASN weights (340 for the light class 375 for the Masters class) and align ourselves with EDKRA. Having a meeting wouldn't be a bad idea to bring new or old racers up to date and could be done at the beginning or the end of the next club meeting on February 15th.

John K
www.johnkwong.ca

JChan
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Chan

Post by JChan »

Thank you John for Volunteering as the Briggs rep.

I prefer to follow the ASN weights, much easier to go race at Warburg.

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

It was decided after the February meeting at the Briggs senior meeting to go with the following supplementary rules for Senior Briggs:

Senior Briggs Light - 340 lbs
Senior Briggs Masters/Heavy - 375 lbs

Tires to remain open
Rim widths to remain open
55" maximum rear track width

To summarize what this means. The Briggs light weight was reduced by 10 lbs to be in line with EDKRA and ASN National regs. The open tire rule has served us well so far and is the simplest and fairest way to encompass all available tire choices. Fortunately, the new Vega Tire will be the most affordable and probably the best performing, giving the racers the best of both worlds. Whether the 6.5 or 7.1 rear tire works better remains to be seen but the tire size is negligible compared to previous brands offering of a 6.0" tire which was quite a bit smaller. The open tire rule also applies to rain tires with the Vega having the best performing rain tire currently.

John K
www.johnkwong.ca