Karting Tricks and Tips

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Karting Tricks and Tips

Post by John Kwong »

Karting typically has a fairly steep learning curve for new karters. I want to use this thread as a resource for new karters to our club to be able to access and benefit from other club members experiences.

Motor Hour Meter

This past year I wanted to know and have an accurate record of the hours that were being put on my engines. I searched the internet and Ebay and found these as an inexpensive (less than $6) way to monitor engine running hours.
hour meter_sm.jpg
hour meter_sm.jpg (26.29 KiB) Viewed 4075 times
I was surprised to find that I wasn't putting on as many hours as I thought each season. This year in Rotax Senior I ran 11 club races, 2 out of town races (AB Shoot-Out) and 4 T&T track days for a total of 6 hours running time. Previously, I was guestimating that each raceday was putting on about an hour of time on the engine. The MyChron 4 does have an hour meter on it but it needs to be re-set each time you get your motor re-built and it is not readable at a glance of your kart.
Here is a link to this device: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Waterproof- ... 1296986880
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Karting Tricks and Tips

Post by John Kwong »

Sore Ribs?

Even after 35 years of kart racing, there is always something new to learn. I suffered with some rib pain this year and narrowed it down to these awful countersink seat washers. I had purchased a better rib protector this year and it still didn't help. After seeing Peter Sammon's karts set-up with flatter washers, an "aha" moment happened. I have now tested this for myself and can report that my rib pain is not a problem anymore.

Before with normal countersink seat washers
IMG_3386.JPG
IMG_3386.JPG (48.33 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
IMG_3387.JPG
IMG_3387.JPG (54.67 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
New flatter washers from Lowe's
IMG_3388.JPG
IMG_3388.JPG (54.6 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
IMG_3389.JPG
IMG_3389.JPG (54.37 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
Comparison of old vs new washers
IMG_3390.JPG
IMG_3390.JPG (47.51 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

chike
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Dezall
City/Town: Okotoks

Re: Karting Tricks and Tips

Post by chike »

Good post John.

Do you know the size of washer you used that worked best for the counter sink?