Snell 2015

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Martinisounds
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Martinovich
City/Town: Calgary

Snell 2015

Post by Martinisounds »

Hey just want to confirm that Snell 2015 helmets are coming to the end of their rating at the track, am I correct in what I remember hearing? And what is the next ones we should look to move to?

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Snell 2015

Post by Jackmazury »

Dan,

I think this is a common misconception unless we are choosing to differ from ASN guidelines. SNELL M/K/SA 2010 helmets are the ones expiring December 31st this year. Adding to the expiry list is CMS 2007 and CMR 2007 at the end of 2024.

2015 ratings are set to expire at the end of 2028. It should go without saying that the life expectancy of the foam and other components inside a helmet is likely less than the hypothetical maximum of 13 years you can get from a rating. A good time to remind everyone that you only have one brain, select your helmet accordingly.

The newest batch of ratings are SA/K/M 2020. As an anecdotal point, I switched from an M rated CL-17 from HJC to a a Bell RS7-K, the quality is a fair bit better on my observations as well as the fit. The visors are also thicker on the K and SA rated helmets that I have seen, albeit much more pricy.

Cheers,
Shifter #30

Class Representative