Potential Track Modification

This is a temporary forum to be used for all topics related to the new track and it's construction
Nathan B
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Bartley
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Potential Track Modification

Post by Nathan B »

With the way it is laid out in Jakes proposal, there is no cutting of asphalt or curbing required. Just placing some gravels and a hand patch with asphalt. For a contractor to do this work the budget would probably be in the $5-7000 range. Secondly the amount of money spent to re-mobilize a paving crew is small ($1500) so not worth postponing until the links are in. This operation could be done in a day or less any time the frost is out of the ground.

Lonnie Ganz
First Name: Lonnie
Last Name: Ganz

Post by Lonnie Ganz »

Looks good to me. I would be in favour of it especially if means I can go up a tooth on my sprocket. I really don't like the brass bushing.

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Post by SteveO »

I like what has been presented.
I hadn't thought about adding another tooth to the front sprocket for the Rotax classes, but if we could, it would definitely help out on the maintenance side.
Also this set of corners is where many collisions occur, so we could eliminate that somewhat, and if we used Blake's 1st diagram, there'd be a relatively safe place to park karts on pavement rather than grass, for those that might have gotten tangled up there.
It would also make the track a bit easier for the Try A Karters who always seem to get messed up in this series of turns.
Stephen Orton

Hillbilly
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Sherman
City/Town: Blackie

Post by Hillbilly »

If this change is made, it should be done in such a way that the existing line can still be run using cones or barriers (think bus stop).

Almost every track I have raced on has an awkward complex that takes a while to figure out (the boot at Watkins Glen isn't used in NASCAR because it is tricky), corner 11 at Laguna Seca took me quite a while to get sorted (and I still haven't mastered it), turn 10 of the Donnybrooke course at Brainerd (high speed off corner with vht on the track surface), the carousel at Race City took some learning... The fast line through the bus stop running the Roval at Daytona tears up tires in the curbing.

If we speed up this part of the track, what do we simplify next? Changing gearing because we can go faster through here is going to help us find the next 'slow spot' ... How long before the track is a banked oval?

Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

Haha, yah only 13 more corners to go....

I think you might be missing the point, its not to simplify the track, it's to remove a section that is hard on equipment while preserving the challenging aspect of that hairpin. The racing line will not change to much from existing, it just won't require a new axle after a season of running it.

JStretch
First Name: Josh
Last Name: Stretch

Post by JStretch »

I recall being told that 'bus stop' type corners, such as the two on the main straight of the old track, can no longer be added to tracks due to possible collisions between karts taking the two different paths. Although, I don't see how connectors for alternate configurations are any different, so someone will have to confirm this.

Personally, I'm not interested in implementing this change to make the track easier. I actually think the new configuration would be more challenging, especially going CCW. I don't imagine anyone is interested in dumbing down the track.

JakeThompson
First Name: Jake
Last Name: Thompson

Post by JakeThompson »

For what its worth, I would love to have a small banked oval ;)

pauldeadman
First Name: paul
Last Name: deadman
City/Town: Okotoks

Post by pauldeadman »

As a non racer I can't comment on line or speed etc but in the interest of cost, shaving the curb this season and seeing how it goes would be my 2 cents. There are only a few races CW this season, and although a low (ish) cost of 15-20k sounds good, it could be spent on items needed rather than wanted. Would like to hear from the executive on this??

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

Have you tried not hitting the curb ? It is your own choice to destroy your equipment. Who is really going to pass you there and still legally be withing the confines of the track if you were to drive around it ? I personally wouldn't waste the money on it as otherwise what has been stated before we might as well build an oval.

Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

That option only works if you are in front Fred, in qualifying and any situation where you need to be putting in quick lap times, smoking the curb is a requirement. Also a big part of the argument, is that this section of the track is not actually more challenging because the curb is there, its just awkward and hard on equipment.