Potential Track Modification

This is a temporary forum to be used for all topics related to the new track and it's construction
Nathan B
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Bartley
City/Town: Calgary

Potential Track Modification

Post by Nathan B »

I wanted to propose a slight modification to the track that would see a little less equipment wear and tear without affecting the racing or flow of the track. Below is an image of the proposed modification, I believe a local paving contractor could complete this for under $15,000.

Just want to see how much appetite there is in the club for this change. Reasons are

1) The current quick racing line (especially in the CW Direction) involves taking a large chunk of the curb on entry to this complex, and hitting the middle curb directly as well. Sure this can be avoided, but it adds a few tenths to your lap and we are all competitive. This is causing excessive equipment wear

2) The flow in this section is not as good as the rest of the track, the intent was good but in actual racing this seems to be an awkward section of the track

3) the proposed change just adjusts the track to the current racing line, while still maintaining the uniqueness of that section

JakeThompson
First Name: Jake
Last Name: Thompson

Re: Potential Track Modification

Post by JakeThompson »

I would be in favour of this too, primarily for the reasons Nathan said. We are all competitive, and will choose to take the fastest line, so I dont think it is necessarily a good thing when the fastest line involves launching a kerb putting wear and tear on the kart, but more importantly my rib cage! (Agreed it is more an issue CW also). I think it would help the flow, but the track would remain as technical as ever.

I also don't think it is urgent, and not worth sacrificing track days over, but if we could fit it in either at the start/or end of a season where it had little impact on track availability this will be a worthwhile change in the long run.

I think a very simple change, as shown below, could be down with out making any changes to the existing asphalt (just adding a small connector), and would accomplish this goal
mod2.jpg
mod2.jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 8724 times

Joey Guyon
First Name: Joey
Last Name: Guyon

Post by Joey Guyon »

Great Post Nathan.

I am in favour of the above.

Regards,

Joey

samk
First Name: Sam
Last Name: Kozma
City/Town: Airdrie

Post by samk »

Why not shave the curbs?

JStretch
First Name: Josh
Last Name: Stretch

Post by JStretch »

I'm in favour of this change.
Jake's render looks like a lot more fun going CW.

Bainesy36
First Name: Nigel
Last Name: Baines

Post by Bainesy36 »

Totally in favour of this concept as I think the flow will be much better. That section has always felt 'awkward' to me and in my opinion doesn't complement the track. My thoughts were the same as Jake's photoshop, which would basically just mean filling a small portion of dirt with no change to the existing asphalt required.

Shaving the curbs would be an option if this was the only 'issue' with that section, but I think it's more about the track layout/flow personally.

newson48
First Name: Blake and Mark
Last Name: Newson

Post by newson48 »

Using my limited photo-editing skills, I have attempted to reproduce Jakes idea and Nathans idea in a direct overhead picture format. This should give drivers a better idea of how the racing line and gearing would be affected and what new passing zones (if any) would be created. The BEST way to view the differences, is to SAVE these pictures to your computer. They are identical in size and format, so you should be able to toggle through the pictures to see the changes very easily.
Blake
2015 track reduced.jpg
2015 track reduced.jpg (877.72 KiB) Viewed 8605 times
Track mod 1 concept reduced.jpg
Track mod 1 concept reduced.jpg (877.77 KiB) Viewed 8605 times
Track mod 2 concept reduced.jpg
Track mod 2 concept reduced.jpg (877.77 KiB) Viewed 8605 times
Senior Rotax #48

Nathan B
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Bartley

Post by Nathan B »

Just to clear it up, I don't believe there is a Jakes idea and a Nathans Idea... Just two guys who have different skills in microsoft paint. I think the one Jake made is the best representation of what I was going for and is definitely the cheapest and easiest option.

Nathan

Mariogim
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Gimenez

Post by Mariogim »

I am in favor of the changes. The reduced wear on the bottom of the karts and the fact that we can now gear for more of the track (instead of one very slow section) makes this new layout much more appealing. Having said that the changes to the track should not come at the expense of better washroom facilities.Thats my two cents worth of opinion.

Cheers

Mario

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

While I'm not against the idea, I would think that it should only be contemplated when we are planning to do the joining pieces so that we can get the best value by having equipment on site ONCE. I also feel that adding curbing should take priority as there are several places where it needs serious attention.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter