Rotax Masters own race

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Rotax Masters own race

Post by John Kwong »

The Masters were separated into their own races on Sunday. Any comments pro or con?

Personally, I think any racer needs incentive and having separate trophies this year to recognize the Masters class was the beginning of that. Having a separate Masters race is the next step to widening our appeal as a club and what we have to offer.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Re: Rotax Masters own race

Post by SteveO »

I absolutely loved racing in the smaller Masters group this weekend!
Currently, I'm still one of the slower Rotax drivers, but its getting better every weekend. When I look back at my notes from all the races I've competed in this year, I've been hit, driven over, pushed off the track, and/or suffered damage in pretty well every race that the Seniors & Masters have been mixed. In the 3 Masters only races I've competed in this year, I've suffered none of the aforementioned incidents. That is a pretty telling statistic.
For a new driver that has never raced, especially older drivers (30 yrs +), jumping into the Senior category with 25 other karts can be overwhelming, and may be more than they are willing to attempt. So they participate in T&T's for awhile, never making it to a race, and eventually move on as they can never progress enough to be competitive, as the racing is really what drives improvement. I can see this as being detrimental to the growth of the club.
Having a separate Masters class, with a bunch of older & slightly slower guys, would definitely be more appealing to someone new contemplating getting into kart racing. There are many talented young drivers in the Seniors group that have the potential to make a career in racing, and thus have to be as aggressive as possible to get every last little bit out of each race. As a Masters competitor, I believe we may approach the racing a little differently, as racing is a huge passion, but we realize that our F1 dreams are well behind us.
I'd be all over having a separate Masters class for the last race of the year.!
Stephen Orton

bcallaghan

Post by bcallaghan »

Hi there

I've been sitting on the fence regarding purchasing a Rotax Kart for some time now, but knowing that there would be an active Masters category would certainly help me make the decision. I had a DD2 Kart at Stratotech in Edmonton a few years ago and that category appealed to me due to the safety features incorporated into the kart itself, and the fact that all the drivers were in the Master's age group. I've seen some of the younger drivers in Seniors, and I'm pretty sure I'd wind up a grease spot if I was on the course with them.

So although I'm not currently an active CKRC member, for sure I will be if I see the category added. And probably, even if it isn't.... I'd just keep out of active competition in Seniors.

Thanks

Brian

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Hi Brian,

This year was the first year that the club had a recognized Masters division. For most of this season, the Masters ran combined with the regular Rotax Senior class. At the 9th club race, I suggested that if there were sufficient numbers of Masters competitors that they finally be able to run in their own separate races. There were 8 competitors that day and the first separate Masters club races were run. Hopefully this momentum will continue and more competitors like yourself will join the club.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

I believe in the last race there was 10 in the masters class, & I think with the closure of Race City, this will most likely be the fastest growing class next season. I had a lot of fun doing my first full day of kart racing, & from what I heard from others, they really enjoyed it as well. I think, as a club, we should have some legitimate discussion on keeping it seperate ( setting min # requirements etc.).

Phil

Lonnie Ganz
First Name: Lonnie
Last Name: Ganz

Post by Lonnie Ganz »

John, Thanks for all your work getting the Masters class going and help running us in our own race. I had a lot of fun this year and am looking forward to next year.
But after watching all your great movies I think I know how to race at your speed now so I'll go back to the senior class.... But that means I have to go on a diet this winter... Like that's going to happen! :lol: