Amputee friendly?

Check here before heading to the track. Going to the track for a T&T ? Post it here !
Bryan Wy
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Wynne
City/Town: Calgary

Amputee friendly?

Post by Bryan Wy »

Some friends and myself have try a cart scheduled for next weekend. One friend has his foot amputated. He drives every day. Rides a Harley and carries 150 lb up stairs at work some days.
I tried emailing the track to see if there will be an issue for him riding with us. But no response.
Does anyone have any info or experience with something similar?

JasonL
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Luinenburg

Re: Amputee friendly?

Post by JasonL »

Given the level of activity you’re describing my instinct is to say “No”, but there are some things that could pose problems depending on his situation:

-Not sure if it is his right or left foot, but in karting the left is used to operate the brakes.
-The brake and throttle ‘pedals’ are horizontal metal bars not a flat paddle as exists on cars. I don’t know how this may or may not work with his limb/prosthesis.
-The brake is manual - not powered. It can require a little more effort than a car, and being able to feel the pressure/resistance provides valuable input when driving.

I’d say bring him out. If he can’t participate, I believe the club would provide a refund.

Bryan Wy
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Wynne

Post by Bryan Wy »

I appreciate the detailed response. Thank you

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

Hi Bryan
Jason has covered most of the concerns, and I would agree, if it is difficult for him, we can issue a refund, or give a session to someone else. I do hope to get at least one kart rigged up with hand controls in the future to be able to accommodate more people. I would also like to apologize for the lack of response to your email. I'm not sure which email you used, but there has been some changes in roles, and people at the club, so it may be related to that.

Phil