Cadet or regular?

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Rpilsner
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Pilsner
City/Town: Strathmore

Cadet or regular?

Post by Rpilsner »

Do the Jr 1 group need to drive a cadet or can they use a regular size kart with the carb set to Jr 1? If they are permitted to use the regular size kart, is there much of a difference in performance or ability to learn between the two sizes? New to this and been trying to find a used cadet with no luck but picked up a couple Jr 2 karts.

samk
First Name: Sam
Last Name: Kozma
City/Town: Airdrie

Re: Cadet or regular?

Post by samk »

Jr. 1 runs on cadet karts.

I know Rob Dezall has/had one. Scott Perreault has one or two for sale as well.

I know some clubs run the larger karts for Jr. 1 but I think they are moving away from them - at least running the small tires all around. I would think you would have a tough time fitting a full size kart to a Jr. 1 driver but it also depends on the size of the driver.

Hope that helps. Ask away, someone will always answer.

Sam

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Post by John Kwong »

Some people have had luck with putting out a "Want to Buy" ad on the club classifieds to find specific items.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

chike
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Dezall
City/Town: Okotoks

Post by chike »

Mine is still for sale. See the add in classifieds. It is a great kart and super easy to tune. Also easy to get parts for.

Being 10 yrs running the cadet karts in junior 1, you will have a hard time being competitive in junior 1 with a full size kart. They don't corner as easily, harder to fit the kid in unless the kid is really big, and normally to heavy. Much easier for them to learn in a cadet kart. Even as my kids were too big for the class but too young to move up I crammed them in a cadet kart so they would at least have a chance.
Rob Dezall
403-888-5536

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

Hi Ryan,

By the rules a J1 can run a full size kart with 6" rear tires. Reality is just as Rob stated, it would be very difficult to be competitive in a full size, and the kart is heavier to steer, and the corners of the kart are farther away, so it is more difficult for them to learn the lines, and space between karts etc. At 10 I would definitely go cadet, at 11 I may consider either starting in J2 or plan on being at the back of J1 in a full size kart.

Any of the karts listed by Sam & Rob would be god.

Phil