Jr 1 2017 Season

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Re: Jr 1 2017 Season

Post by phil »

Just a note on Allen's comment about clear visors- the other benefit is that as a coach/ parent, you can actually see where they are looking, and offer advice accordingly.

Phil

Murr15
First Name: Murray
Last Name: Hanna
City/Town: Calgary

Post by Murr15 »

A couple good points about the visors I'm good either way on that one.

I agree the defensive driving is a tough one......it can be race craft but just getting the lead and driving that line lap after lap I don't think is the point it will frustrate the followers and they will make bad decisions out of desperation (they are kids and do not understand the risks). I don't agree that 8-12 year olds should play by the same rules as grown adults or even teenagers. I think it's pretty simple myself, no contact. Stay on the racing line unless your passing or trying to. Or if you choose to come off the racing line to defend you must enter the next corner from that line, no moving back to the racing line there could be a kart there now that can't be seen.

I really just want to avoid the wrecks we had last year, honestly they spooked me a bit. Spinning in the grass is one thing flipping is another all together, we were lucky no one was seriously injured (not that a broken ankle isn't serious but you know what I mean). We had kids leave and not race anymore because of crashing. I'm not dumb enough to think we will never have crashes again but we can sure minimize them by ensuring our kids are good sportsmans and race hard but clean. I am not in anyway insinuating that anybody is not just that, I just think we need to reinforce it a lot with these age kids.

thats all I got.......let's line em up!!!! Man I really can't wait for it to start!!!!!

Team Hanna
1. Have Fun
2. Race Hard
3. Race Clean

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

ASN Book 1 Sporting Regulations mandate penalties .. there is no deviation from them .. believe me I have had my ass chewed off for that by PC in the past.
Mark ... you are wrong penalties are applied to all classes when required .. some as in time penalties applied at the time are not recorded as often either the driver concerned does not finish or works out their time penalty on track.. the record for this is kept by timing in the Race log.
ASN regs are very clear on what a driver can and cant do on track and where they can and cant drive .. it mandates who has the responsability during overtaking. Drivers must be aware of track position and where not to place themselves to further disadvantage themselves on track. Drivers should also be made aware that racing lines and qualifying lines quite often vary. Visors I believe should be of personal preference and I see no benefit to mandating clear visors otherwise a worse option will arise with drivers wearing sun glasses. EDKRA are using raceceiver this year (I personally think this system is a waste of time for senior drivers) but it may have a benefit for J1 drivers but that would be an extra cost the class would probably have to fund.

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

Perhaps I phrased that poorly.

As you point out, "as required" is the key element. I think we can agree that there may be more room for latitude in Sr. classes vs the jr ones. All the rules are there; how strictly we adhere to them is up to us.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

Enforcement of regulations for Juniors and Seniors are different (or should be) as an adult I can chew you out, take away your points and possibly throw you out of the competition ... if I was to do that to Juniors we would probably never see them again .. anyone who has been called up to me with their driver will agree that I always try to deal with it as a learning experience. .. education is better than persuing a hard line. I try and explain to them what they have done wrong and explain what the consequences of their actions could be ... i hope the parents can also go away with them and carry on the discussion. Half the battle is getting the parents to accept that their child might have broken a regulation all be it through their inexperience.