When/How do we know a J2 rookie is competent to race

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
BANZracing
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Taylor
City/Town: Calgary

When/How do we know a J2 rookie is competent to race

Post by BANZracing »

Is there a guideline to follow with respect to my daughter getting enough experience on-track before she should race in a club race? She is 13, lapped a little last year, and has logged ~100 laps already this year. She's never raced before.
Thanks
Brian

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Re: When/How do we know a J2 rookie is competent to race

Post by phil »

Hi Brian,

I will offer my opinion ( which may differ from others).

First of all, the driver needs to be comfortable enough with the driving aspect that they are also able to put focus on their surroundings (flags, other karts, etc), and be able to look far enough ahead to avoid accidents
They must know the flags, and be able to notice when they are waved
They should be at least moderately comfortable with other karts near them (thinking start, and turn one), and be able to drive in a predictable manner with others beside them.

To put a number on this is difficult, as drivers and karts vary, but I would guess it would all start to come together around a 1:09.

The lead end of the group, I believe, is in the mid 1:03 range, so if the gap was consistently 6 seconds, they would be getting lapped right at the end of the race, which can get awkward. At 5 seconds, they should stay on the lead lap, so that would be a good target.

I hope this helps
Phil

BANZracing
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Taylor

Post by BANZracing »

Thanks Phil. That's helpful. She was very comfortable in traffic on Sunday afternoon (12 juniors lapping together), and was consistently turning 1:08's. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a club rule (like in J1 where a minimim number of test laps have to be completed before race 1). She'll likely watch the race Sunday to get a feel for the day, and we will continue to test before the mid-may race. Appreciate the response.

Brian et al

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

As a rookie, she would start last, regardless of her qualifying time, for the first 3 races and would be required to have an "X" on her helmet and rear number plate.

There really is no way to get experience in a race pack without being in one. At 1:08, I would say she has the driving ability, she just needs to get in there and gain experience.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter