2017 Rotax ECU Pre-Order

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Joey Guyon
First Name: Joey
Last Name: Guyon
City/Town: Calgary

2017 Rotax ECU Pre-Order

Post by Joey Guyon »

Hi All,

Rotax has come out with an updated ECU unit for the Evo Ignition for all classes. The new ECU offers easier carburetion in the high RPM ranges, above 13,300. The ECU’s will be available at 50% off until March 31, 2017. The discounted price is $137.47

The Rev-Limiter has also been lowered to 14,800 as there were some ECU units capable of over 15,000 rpm.

I will be testing these items in Arizona in January and will post my findings.

If you have any questions, please contact us or post your comment on these forums!

If you would like to order an updated ECU for your category, please contact us:
Overdrive Motorsports
Tel: 403-652-5010
Email: [email protected]

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Re: 2017 Rotax ECU Pre-Order

Post by SteveO »

Just researching this a bit, and this is what I found on the Rotax site:
The ECU with minimized vibration level due to its changed position – used for the Rotax 125 Junior MAX, the Rotax 125 MAX and also for Micro and Mini MAX engines – is less sensitive on the main jet above 13,000 rpm with slightly altered ignition timing. With a richer main jet the engine will perform well above 13,000 rpm. The new ECU is much more forgiving in the set up of the carburetor.

Now the ECU is located on the left side of the battery housing. A multi-function switch is attached to the optimized battery housing which provides an easier handling to the customer.

The new cable harness with plug in connection for the multi-function switch is another feature. The plug in connection for the electric starter incorporates the ground connection for the overall electrical system. The connection for the battery charger is aligned with the cable harness. The support plate system is more compact with electrical connections for the ignition coil and magnet valve only. This results in less complexity and easier handling for the end-user.
This makes it sound like the ECU upgrade includes a new wiring harness & battery box?!?! :?
However, another Rotax site indicated that it's just an ECU exchange, and that there is no program to update the harness and the box, so if the ECU is going back in it's original location, where it is still subjected to the vibration issue.
I am definitely confused...
Stephen Orton

Joey Guyon

Post by Joey Guyon »

Hi Steve,

Good question. Not too clear from the various documents, but the wiring harness and battery box is not included with the ECU. It is optional and may be used in conjunction with it.

From a phone call with the Rotax Techs, it seems that the issue with the ECU vibration is damage to the wiring harness. I am told it's function is not phased by the vibration.

The new wiring harness and ECU location should increase reliability, but is not included in this upgrade program.

Please post any other questions,

Joey

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Post by SteveO »

Thanks Joey!

So is this an outright purchase for the new ECU at $137.47, or is it an exchange?
If I can keep the old one as a spare, it makes sense.
I await to hear your verdict from Arizona.
Stephen Orton

Joey Guyon

Post by Joey Guyon »

Hi Steve,

It's an outright purchase, no exchange requested on your old one!

Regards,

Joey Guyon

Joey Guyon

Post by Joey Guyon »

Attention Rotax racers. The order deadline for 2017 ECU’s (micro, mini, jr, sr) and 2017 JR cylinders is Monday March 20th in order to receive the 50% discount.

If you have not ordered one and would like to, please contact:

Joey Guyon
Overdrive Motorsports
403-652-5010
[email protected]

If you have ordered one and have not picked it up, Joey can drop it off at the meeting Tuesday – please email [email protected]

Thanks!