Rotax

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Team 75
First Name: Wendell
Last Name: Dunning
City/Town: Edmonton

Rotax

Post by Team 75 »

Skylar and I are still committed to Rotax.
Wendell

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Rotax

Post by John Kwong »

That is good to hear. I too am sticking with my Rotax. The recent events in the U.S. regarding Rotax really don't affect us here unless we choose to let it. Rotax is a big company that now has some market challenges to deal with. There are always bumps in the road at some point. No motor package is perfect and X30 or Rok or X125 are not without their own issues. For Calgary, we have a large number of Rotax motors, EVO and Pre-EVO, that are still around and very usable. I think chasing the latest engine package by following the U.S. only serves a small percentage of all the kart racers in Alberta.
I understand that "special" stock parts can be obtained for the Rotax power plant and anyone chasing those parts to win a chrome plastic trophy is robbing themselves of the enjoyment of racing at the club level. I have said many times, I would rather have a great battle for any other position, than to win by a landslide because of the motor I had built.
It will be interesting to see how each of these individual motor race series play out in the U.S. but I would rather observe it than be forced to pay for it. These series get all the media attention but really only serve a small portion of the karting population and the resulting effect on clubs like ours will hopefully not be too dramatic.

Now with all that being said, change can be inevitable but how we choose to adapt to potential changes could be a win/win for current Rotax owners and potential TAG type engine users if it is undertaken correctly. The F-Series Gear-up Challenge http://www.thefseries.com is the only larger series that runs Rotax, X30, Leopard and X125 together and has done so for a couple years now. I think more data has to be seen on the relative competitiveness of all these motors running together, so that a long term plan for the Alberta region can be discussed. Until then, consistency in format and direction will help Alberta Clubs to continue their growth.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

100% Rotax for us.

Phil

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Post by SteveO »

And for someone buying a brand new kart/engine combo, the Rotax is still the least expensive of the TAG engines identified. Not thorough research, but it's not like a new driver would save thousands going in a different direction. Rotax makes sense for our club at this time!
Stephen Orton

Jill Perras
First Name: Jill
Last Name: Perras

Post by Jill Perras »

Question: if someone from EDKRA has a non-Rotax TAG engine, can they still race at CKRC club races? I understand they wouldn't get any points or prizes but does this fully exclude them from racing with our club if they don't have a Rotax motor this year?

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

My guess is that you would run in "Open" and then "Open" would be combined with Senior Rotax. So just as Senior 4-Stroke Light and Heavy are run at the same time, they are completely separate classes with their own championship. Just uh....there is no "Open" championship !
:mrgreen:
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Post by SteveO »

No matter what we do with it, we open up a can of worms. I'd agree that since the Senior Rotax field is relatively small, that would be the place to put them. Since our Masters class is one of the largest in the club & growing quite nicely, I don't think there is a place for anything but a Rotax engine. I'm sure almost all in the class would agree with me here.

However, if there is any difference in performance, it could destroy our Senior Rotax class, which is the last thing we want to do.

In my humble opinion, we've settled on 2 sealed engines (LO206 & Rotax) for our club for the past 6 years, and had great success & growth with them, that we should not be considering other options any time soon. I'd need to see a real benefit to the club members of another engine option before changing my mind. The beauty of our club is the level playing field, let's not wreck that.
Stephen Orton

Jill Perras

Post by Jill Perras »

I am going to be running the X30 engine that I already own this season. Appreciate that there will be no points/ prizes from CKRC this year, if/ when I run races there. Is there a decision on TAG engines for the CKRC round of the Alberta Shootout? If you can advise asap, since that is the next race weekend in the calendar. Presumably other TAG engines will be allowed in the EDKRA rounds of the Alberta Shootout, since they have already opened up their club racing to them.

Thanks!

Jill Perras

Post by Jill Perras »

Just want to say thanks to the Senior Rotax grid for including me in their race yesterday while I was racing my X30 engine. I had an absolute blast on and off the track :-) I am looking forward to the next race already.

Jill

RoyW
First Name: Roy
Last Name: White

Post by RoyW »

Hello Jill.... you are welcome to play with the Senior Rotax for as long as you will have us.... Evan is a committed Rotax driver... he has raced agains X30 many times in US races. Rotax Master, Juniors, Roc on track all at the same time occasionally. It's all good fun to us. Keep coming out and give Evan a work out.....
Roy White