proposed 2018 weight rules

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Joey Guyon
First Name: Joey
Last Name: Guyon
City/Town: Calgary

proposed 2018 weight rules

Post by Joey Guyon »

Hi All,

I wanted to get the ball rolling on weight regs for the shifters in 2018. Please let me know your feedback:

After dynoing engines this winter and driving on track this year I have a suggestion as to how to add some weight breaks for the local races

KZ 405lbs: this would apply to the 2 most recent homologations 2013-2015 and 2016 to current (stamp on the engine would say expiry 21 or expiry 24. On my dyno these engines are 44-45hp

Vortex ROK shifter / TM KZ10ES / IAME X30 shifter or KZ/ICC engine with expiry 18 and prior 395lbs: these are "hobby" engines derived from their KZ counterparts. They are de-tuned on the cylinder side of things to increase durability and make them easier to tune. On my dyno these engines are 39-41hp

Motocross engines 380bls: pick your model, these guys need some help locally. I sped up a lot on a KZ10 ES vs my moto at Northstar.

Joey

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Re: proposed 2018 weight rules

Post by John Kwong »

Sounds reasonable to me. There has to be some levelling of the playing field if we want the shifter class to continue to maintain a decent number of competitors. Otherwise, perfectly good equipment will sit un-raced because it is deemed uncompetitive.

I would go one step further and create a list of motor brands/models and what weights they would fall under to avoid any confusion. Also, to help with the writing of the Supp. Regs. From there, each competitor could have identification on their kart steering fairing to show the corresponding weight they are running to help the Scale House Tech person.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

I can cut some vinyl letters of a specific size/colour for people to put on their fairings.....
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Nathan B
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Bartley

Post by Nathan B »

Looks good!

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Post by Jackmazury »

Looks good Joe. Mark I think your idea of the vinyl weight stickers is a good plan.
Shifter #30

Class Representative

Glacier
First Name: Garrett
Last Name: Smith

Post by Glacier »

I am in complete agreement with the concept of the above proposed weight rules, but would like to make a suggestion...
No matter how much diet and exercise I do (basically none btw), there is no way I will be a skinny 150 lbs guy like Joey! At 185 lbs with no weight on my kart, I cross the scales between 415 and 420 lbs. CBASS could go out there naked with no seat and helium in his tires and he would still be 440 lbs.
I would like to suggest taking the above proposed weights and adding 10 or even 20 lbs to each of them. I suppose it could slow the lap times of the lightest karts, but it would allow the fat old guys (and potential newcomers) to keep up a little better!
Garrett

Nathan B
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Bartley

Post by Nathan B »

Sorry Garrett.... Can't do it. I weigh 180lbs and have to add 5lbs of lead to my shifter and fill the tank to the max to get to 405. I'm not chucking 20lbs on and turning rotax lap times.

Maybe its those cushy electric starters?

JakeThompson
First Name: Jake
Last Name: Thompson

Post by JakeThompson »

Even though Im 200 lbs and weigh in about 410 lbs on an empty tank, I have to agree with Nathan. Worldwide KZ races at 385, so I think going more than 20lbs over the typical class weight is a bit much. For a guy like E-Dubs who might run some KZ this year, he would have to add something close to 100lbs if the weight was 420lbs, which becomes a safety issue.

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

I hear you Garrett, but consider the other end; I'm 150 lbs -soaking wet- and I'm fighting th urge to go from moto to KZ simply because of all the lead I'll have to bolt on !
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Glacier
First Name: Garrett
Last Name: Smith

Post by Glacier »

Well dammit Mark..... eat a Cheeseburger!!