Who's racing shifter this year?

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Who's racing shifter this year?

Post by John Kwong »

The running total so far:

1. John Kwong - GP/TM K9B
2. Skylar Dunning - Energy/TM K9B
3. Nathan Bartley - PCR/Stock Moto
4. Rob McFadyen - PCR/Moto
5. ?
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

Remember all you stock moto guys ... and shifters in General you will have to meet the noise limits of 87 dba .. get looking into it now..... too loud,o no go,o

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Just for some extra information about getting noise under control. Some of the basic solutions are:

1. re-pack the existing silencer
2. get a bigger silencer
3. point exhaust tip at the ground
4. rubber hose or innertube sleeve extention on the end of the silencer to break up the sound wave

What many racers do not realize is how much noise comes out of the carburator. If you are having trouble meeting the noise guidelines, an airbox might be the solution to get you under the limit. For a shifter kart make sure you get one with the 30mm tubes and not the 100cc box with 23mm tubes.

Make no mistake, we are serious about this and are mandating the same guidelines for the the AMRA and Super Motard track users.

John K
www.johnkwong.ca

Willoughby
First Name: Justin
Last Name: Willoughby

Post by Willoughby »

I will be out there putting around in my DD2 with you guys. Hopefully I can encourage some more to come out and grow the DD2 scene in Calgary..sounds like there is a strong crowd in Edmonton as well as its picking up steam again in other regions. I love the idea of DD2 with having a good bit less maintenance than some of the other shifters and no messy chains.

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

There are several DD2's in the Calgary area. Just like the rest of the shifter class, getting everyone there on the same day is always the difficult part. Enthusiasm for the shifter class is higher than it has been in a long time. I figure we will see a decent turnout for the race schedule this year.

John K
www.johnkwong.ca

Jwoolsey
Last Name: Woolsey

Post by Jwoolsey »

I will be racing as well. Stock Moto and ICC.

Jwoolsey
Last Name: Woolsey

Post by Jwoolsey »

Does anyone at the club have any experience with testing the noise level of Stock Motos and ICCs? It is all well and good to give a benchmark number such as 87 dba, but I really have no clue what that means. In order to prepare well, can someone tell me what a normal stockmoto running with an appropriate airbox measures at?

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Hi Justin,

The CKRC has our own sound test equipment and will be conducting testing in the Spring so that we know more. We did do some testing with some of the guys from the Motard group last Fall and clarified some issues for the equipment they were running. Unfortunately, we do not have any definitive kart data to go by. Generally, a stock moto is louder than an ICC. We are pretty sure that if the precautions laid out above are followed that the sound issues should not be an issue.

John K
www.johnkwong.ca

samk
First Name: Sam
Last Name: Kozma
City/Town: Airdrie

Post by samk »

I do believe the ASN regulations outline a test procedure for sound levels. The sound meter is a distance off of the ground (i.e. 3 ft.) and held in a specified direction and distance from the source.

I also know that Chillwack has a meter that they mount along the track.

bremworks
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Morrison

Post by bremworks »

I've just acquired a shifter from Riley at BRC.... after I get some seat time and pass the licence test, I guess I'll be in the mix! I've raced both Motocross and Motard in the past and done many track days in cars as well as on motorcycles. My two main goal's are to have fun and be safe, I'm hoping to find some like-minded people to enjoy with!