Paddle shift

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
CBASS
First Name: rob
Last Name: McFadyen
City/Town: Calgary

Paddle shift

Post by CBASS »

I'd like to make a suggestion that we allow paddle shifts in the shifter class. I have been doing some research and there doesn't seem to be a significant time advantage for a paddle shifter over an experienced driver using a manual shift. The biggest benefits seem to be safety as you keep both hands on the wheel. Driver fatigue is apparently reduced significantly as well creating a driving experience that is more enjoyable and safe. There is also a large coolness factor involved which may drive more people into the shifter class. I am engineering a fairly budget conscious electric start for the cr125 as well. I believe this will also make the shifter class much more palatable for many people. You can also buy an engineered electric start online but the price is about 650 bucks.
Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Rob

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Re: Paddle shift

Post by John Kwong »

I wasn't aware that paddle shifter mechanisms were not allowed. The DD2 uses a form of paddle shifter and has right from the beginning.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

DD2 was designed to be a class of it's own and as such, if you were running DD2, then you had the paddle shifters.

The difference here is that a shifter comes with a shift lever, not paddles. Adding paddles is a cost item.

I think they are as slick as snot on a doorknob but it will force competitive racers to put them on. I know I'd want them :mrgreen:

Electric start is a great idea (albeit a bit pricey). The mfg of these systems says to check for legality but I can't see how having a starter would be an advantage unless perhaps you consider the scenario whereby a kart stalls out on track during a heat and since they have electric start, they can restart and continue whereas another racer without the start cannot restart.

Frankly, IMO, that's a stretch. Keeping a kart circulating is a primary safety concern so....
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Paddle shifting is a neat novelty. Guys here had them back in the early nineties. The big advantage was when the Mod Motos went to a no-lift-upshift ignition which did take time off of a lap.
It might prove less tiring driving a moto as there is more shifting to be done with the Honda gearbox ratios and the lower top RPM. The ICC motors have a wider powerband and more over-rev to work with so less shifting necessary.

John K
www.johnkwong.ca

robkozakowski

Post by robkozakowski »

As John said the paddle shifters have always been more of a novelty, and the only real advantage to them was maybe in the Mod Moto days with the PI's that allowed for the no-lift shifting.

In the 90's, you would see the odd paddle shifter on the motos (both 125's and 80's). More often than not, you'd see them on the karts of the more "mature", mid-pack drivers (allowing them to keep both hands on the wheel), and not on the karts of the guys winning the races. I certainly never saw any evidence that it offered a true performance advantage... at least not to the fast guys... otherwise you can bet they'd have used them.

Mark

Post by Mark »

IIRC, there was also a system that used compressed air to run the shits with some kind of paddles.

Lots of safety concerns with the compressed air cylinder on the kart though. I don't think it was an issue but this is better for sure.

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

there was also a system that used compressed air to run the shits with some kind of paddles.
Sounds like a painful cure. :lol:

John K
www.johnkwong.ca

CBASS

Post by CBASS »

Thanks for the input fellas. I agree it's mostly a novelty and isn't going to make anyone win races. Maybe stop me from getting lapped lol. Well I'm looking forward to getting on the new track. It's going to be a great time with so much interest out there.

Cheers,
Rob

CBASS

Post by CBASS »

Sounds like the only thing that will keep up to an ICC is a mod moto. They sound like pretty impressive engines.

Mark

Post by Mark »

Woops...that was quite the typo !

Apologies !