Shifter Starts

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Jwoolsey
First Name: Justin
Last Name: Woolsey
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Shifter Starts

Post by Jwoolsey »

I love the idea of having the rolling starters begin ahead and then trying to catch and pass.

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

It appears we have some interest in the rolling start karts going ahead and the gear jammers following to do a standing start. There will be a shifter class meeting following the driver's meeting to outline the procedure.

As far as who wins, I am okay with, whoever crosses the finish line first. If there is some good clean wheel to wheel action, I am happy.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Jwoolsey

Post by Jwoolsey »

Well said! Could not agree more with regards to simply having fun and being indifferent to the official finishing order.

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

What about if all did a standing start ... the DD2 start at the front at the start line and the six speeds start from the 25 m acceleration line.

Nathan B
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Bartley

Post by Nathan B »

I really like the sounds of that one.

Nathan

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

If a DD2 stalls and it could happen, there would be a pretty scary speed difference.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

BANZracing
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Taylor

Post by BANZracing »

I've been following this thread with great delight. Hoping to have my shifter together in August, and would be fully supportive of getting the DD2's out front someway/somehow, so that we could pull off the standing start a-la-shifter. The standing start is a huge crowd pleaser and one of the most intense parts of the race for the drivers. I too, am not fussed about the starting or finishing order, as it's an open class and we are out here to pull gears and have fun. My $0.02.

Brian

Jwoolsey

Post by Jwoolsey »

I think Fred is on to something! If the DD2s did a standing start at the front of the grid, and then the marshal dropped the flag for the shifters, only after seeing the the DD2s were away with no stall, this would solve the safety problem and allow a reasonable gap for a chase to catch the DD2s? Thoughts? Full fun for all.....

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

Six speeds could start any distance back in reality .. it's even possible to start the DD2 from the opposite acceleration line and the six speeds from the track direction acceleration line ... 50m apart and then add a lap to the DD2 to bring them back into the correct timing .

nils joergensen
First Name: Nils
Last Name: Joergensen

Post by nils joergensen »

I like Justin's idea of flagging the groups off separately. The DD2s start first and when they are safely underway the shifters then get the green flag. Safe, and no scoring adjustments needed.

Another option could be to have the shifters line up a bit closer to the edges of the track and the DD2s do a rolling start between the stationary shifters. The DD2s would have to stay single file until crossing the start line, then the shifters get the green flag. Still safe, and no excessive strain on DD2 geartrains.