Shifter Engine Classification

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Nathan B
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Bartley
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Shifter Engine Classification

Post by Nathan B »

So what about this for Rev 1 of the Shifter guidelines

1) Rules
- 125cc max displacement
- Gas & oil fuel - VP race gas and Premium gas for DD2
- ASN Safety regs including full width rear bumper
- Tires - CIK Medium compound (Bridgestone YLB, MG Yellow, Vega Blue) or Mojo D2 or D3, rain tires open
- Airboxes mandatory for noise regulations
- Must meet 87 Decibel noise guidelines

2) Guidlines
-Engine Type Open including DD2, ICC, Stock Moto/Mod Moto ect...

-Class Recommendation - Stock Moto with Min weight 375lb
- ICC with Min weight of 400lb

-Race Format - Varied
-Standard Qualifying- Pre-final/Final
-Pea Pick Qualifying Race - Reverse Order Pre-final - Final

I think that's about as far as we can take it without alienating the guys who are growing/participating in the class at the moment. I have to say that honestly right now it doesn't seem like we even have a problem that needs addressing. The racing has been fun and class is full of guys who are trying not to take it too seriously. The only standout engine seems to be mine and I am more than willing to scale it back to match the field.

Tighter rules may encourage growth from one type of racer but discourage it from another. Imagine the perfect series where the costs are cheap, the packages are all equal, and the racing is pure and dependent solely on driver performance.... Keep imagining because it doesn't exist and I don't think we are going to find the magic solution here.

BANZracing
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Taylor

Post by BANZracing »

Nailed it, Nathan. 8-)

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

I think that's a good framework to run with. let's see how it goes.

Barring any unforseen complications, I expect to finally have my shifter on track in the next week or 2. It will be interesting to see how it weighs out -although I expect to have to add lead to make the 375 !
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Nathan B
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Bartley

Post by Nathan B »

I weigh 175lb, and with my stock moto I weighed in at 386. With the TM I weigh in at 395.

Bainesy36
First Name: Nigel
Last Name: Baines

Post by Bainesy36 »

Based on those numbers Nathan, I think we should look at 385/410 as the class weights. I would say a 175lb driver is the right weight to use to get our class weight for the stock Moto. I know the karts can vary a bit, but it would still only mean adding 15lbs of lead to your ICC and more people would be 'closer' to the class weight.

Bare in mind, me suggesting higher weights does nothing to benefit me ;)

BANZracing
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Taylor

Post by BANZracing »

For what it's worth, I'm 183lb with all gear on, and 410lb in the IAME

Gerhard8020
First Name: Gerhard
Last Name: Roets
City/Town: Cochrane

Post by Gerhard8020 »

I support Nathan's proposal as well as the 385/410 weight limit proposal. It's not just about engine power, if there is an equalization, we have to consider that we come in different sizes as well.

Having said that, there is still no motivation for a DD2 to compete in the class other than gaining track time. How about a cup challenge within the shifter class for DD2, creating reason to show up. That way we may even entice the large Edmonton DD2 group to experience our fantastic track.

Gerhard

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

I want to say this carefully because I want as many people to come out and play with us as possible but I think in the interest of the class and in keeping it SIMPLE, we must remember this is a shifter class and while DD2's are always welcome, we need to focus on what is required to grow the class as a shifter class.

As far as the CKRC is concerned, it seems to make the most sense -right now, at least- to encourage people to embrace shifter rather than DD2 (if they don't own either). I really don't think we can manage another class in a race day !
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Bainesy36
First Name: Nigel
Last Name: Baines

Post by Bainesy36 »

Gerhard, I sent you a message on here.