Anyone planing to race this season?

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
TomBo
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Lynch
City/Town: Calgary

Anyone planing to race this season?

Post by TomBo »

I'm hoping there will be some other newer drivers out for the season. Or at least some vets to school me on getting around track in good fashion :o

nils joergensen
First Name: Nils
Last Name: Joergensen

Re: Anyone planing to race this season?

Post by nils joergensen »

Not confirmed but expecting shifter class to include the following drivers:
Terry Fucile
Graham Behrend
Iain McLeod (class rep)
Austin King
Marcus Kottman
Nils Joergensen (for sure)

There are several newer and also experienced drivers who have shifters but have not been racing them in seasons past, probably due to the uncertainty of others showing up for races. Last season we had a committed, enthusiastic group (listed above) and we hope this provides some confidence and incentive for more participants to join this year. There were already a few drivers toward the end of last season who indicated they were considering joining the class this year.

The more drivers we get out on the track the greater the opportunity for everyone to have someone to race against and the more fun everyone has ... on top of the enjoyment we already get from driving a shifter.

In general, many newer drivers are reluctant to race because (a) they feel they're not fast enough to participate and want to practice until their lap times get closer to typical class times, and (b) they're nervous about doing something new and making mistakes. You learn a lot in a race because you tend to push yourself harder (more adrenalin) than you would in practice, so your lap times are likely to drop faster than if you only practice. Everyone makes mistakes but they are what motivate us to find a solution leading to improvement. I still have lots to learn but the process is very rewarding. There is no shortage of club members willing to help others improve.

Nils

Iain McLeod
First Name: Iain
Last Name: McLeod

Post by Iain McLeod »

Hi everyone!

I will be racing shifter this year for sure. Hopefully we will be able to get this class back to the specticle that it once was! I think a big part of that will be having a standing start, so hopefully we will start to get enough people to make this happen again.

I have not made any suggestions to Fred for new regulations for this season as I think we should try to keep the regs open to hopefully increase participation. We will see how the season progresses and go from there. If anyone has any rules they would like to see added, please feel free to post on here, or better yet contact me directly.

My contact information is as follows:
Iain McLeod
403-616-2443
[email protected]

I look forward to racing with all of you.

Iain

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

The new drivers should be aware that the lap times you can achieve on a practise day which is usually on a very dusty track can be 1-2 seconds slower than what you would achieve on a raceday with a clean track. So you would not necessarily be too slow to race.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

I love standing starts for shifters , the only problem we have is running DD2 with the class (They cant do a standing start)

Iain McLeod
First Name: Iain
Last Name: McLeod

Post by Iain McLeod »

It should be rule of the masses. If there are more DD2's then we do a rolling start. Plus lets face the facts, Austin is faster than all of us anyways, so it just gives him a bit of work to get out front.

LopiTech

Post by LopiTech »

Hello all! I too plan on racing again this year, although I'm not quite ready. Hopefully should be good to go for the end of May. Hope to see lots of competitors out this year, and I look forward to some great racing!!

pdcmike

Post by pdcmike »

I will be racing this year. Hope to be ready for next race. (Setting up new kart)
Racing a birel with a honda this year, and use the yz as a back up kart. The price of membership means we have to get to every race we can. I know there was at least 3 guys talking about dusting their shifter karts off. Let's get them all out guys.
Ben Young

axle182
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Freind

Post by axle182 »

Ive joined the shifter class, hoping to make it to a race or two before the year is out. I was hoping to pick up a one day licence to race (when i can make it), would there be any issue with that?

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

You can get a one-day membership (available when you register on race day).

Better get going though, there are only 2 races left (Sat/Sun, Sept 15 & 16).
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter