2016 Shifter Rules/Guidlines

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Re: 2016 Shifter Rules/Guidlines

Post by John Kwong »

Fury 108 and VP C12 are the most common locally available fuels appropriate for this application. The shifter motors cannot run on pump gas without suffering from detonation. MS109 octane numbers are probably high enough but the spec sheet says that MS109 is oxygenated which might create another problem for fuel testing. I am not a fuel expert so am not sure how oxygenation affects our rules. VP C12 and Fury 108 are both leaded fuels as well.

These two were mostly chosen for their local availability in Alberta.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

RoyW
First Name: Roy
Last Name: White

Post by RoyW »

Hello Gentlemen!

Evan and I are fine with these regulation as we are fully set-up to meet these suggested regulation. Evan will race full senior spec's and weight, unrestricted stock moto engine format.
Roy White

RoyW
First Name: Roy
Last Name: White

Post by RoyW »

Hello Shifter Class....

I came across articles on HP/Weight ratio's as a way to balance different types of engines and karts. I'm wondering if you all like an idea that basis the class rules on the basis of HP/Weight. For Example:

Stock Moto (Max 35HP/385 = 0.090) Horse Power to Weight ratio.
KZ (Max 42HP/410 = 0.102) Horse Power to Weight Ratio.

Admittedly these are just examples are not exact but merely examples.... if we say so long as you are running in the same range of HP/Weight. Anything go's. We could follow the Original Equipment Manufactures published Min or Max HP for the various engines. Recognizing that engine wear and maintenance can change the HP a bit in any production version of the engine but that perhaps handles some folks concerns about the difference between Stock Moto and KZ Weights and HP.

My hope is that it doesn't matter what Shifter you show up in, you should feel you can be competitive and have fun. And balancing the HP/Weight might be the easiest measure of creating the balance. Not a perfect tool but perhaps one we can agree to work with and see the class grow. That way Shifter Heavy, Light, Medium weights are all acceptable and hopefully the class in Alberta can grow to be the biggest in Canada.
Roy White

Nathan B
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Bartley

Post by Nathan B »

Looks like a pretty good guideline, and the weights you used are what we settled on for the gentleman's rules of the class.

Weighing the karts to get an exactly even hp/weight ratio isn't the solution, it would see TM's at 450+. I think our class is doing it right at the moment, and the racing is getting closer and closer. With Evan at 385 and us TM's at 405-10 we are generating pretty similar lap times in qualifying.

I can see however that when Evan gets behind a TM it makes for a pretty big struggle to get by, as any advantage he generates throughout the corner can be neutralized by a TM down the straights. That may vary track to track however, as our track favors a very tight line through most of the corners that makes it hard for a lighter moto to capitalize on its advantage.

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

Please ensure your equipment is legal ... aspecially the intake air box .... they must be stock with no modifications (holes drilled in them ... intake trumpets shortened) to meet noise regulations .... as a pre warning they will be a tech item this weekend.