2017 Shifter class

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
BANZracing
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Taylor
City/Town: Calgary

Re: 2017 Shifter class

Post by BANZracing »

I'm good with that weight schedule, yup!

BT

CBASS
First Name: rob
Last Name: McFadyen

Post by CBASS »

This class really got going a couple of years ago because we could run what we brung. Nobody complained about my paddle shift or having a super mod Moto. It certainly didn't make me win any races but I had a blast doing it. The last thing we should be doing is slowing guys down IMO. They race shifter because they want to make a lot of noise and go fast. There's always a race somewhere on the track. Let's face it. Shifters are not budget karts but at some point you hit the point of diminishing returns. If somebody wants to spend 10g on an engine that's their perogative. The reality is for most of us it's about improving our driving and having a blast vs looking for 10ths with an extra pony or two under the hood. For the guys that that can benefit from it I say go for it. Unfortunately lighter weights don't help all of us lol. A heavier all around weight would make it easier for people who are larger to compete. There are many options out there for bigger displacements as well. I'd like to see this class be completely open so some of the "girthier" fellas can take advantage of that option. The faster people go the more it drives us all to be better.

If everyone truly want to tighten up the pack weights based on engine type are pretty subjective IMO. Adding additional Weight or subtracting weight based on track times could theoretically tighten the pack accordingly. The only true way to tighten the pack is to penalize the fast drivers with weight and reduce the weight for slower drivers. The really fast drivers take a handicap and the slower drivers get an advantage. This unfortunately results in fast people strapping Additional dense metal to their karts in order to slow them down. If it's about points for people then we could simply assign time penalties.

IMO we are not going to significantly tighten this pack up using a few pounds here and there based on engine type. Driver skill, kart setup, frame and engine are all significant parameters in track times. Fast guys are gonna be fast, slow guys are gonna be slow. Let the horses run and have people grow into the shifter class. When their skill exceeds the ability of their kart they can make the choice to upgrade or not. We are way past having a homogenous class.

Let's do our thing,go as fast as we can, Have a boatload of fun, and have some beers at the end of the day. This is what is making the shifter class grow into a significant event of which I hope to see grow to become the largest class at the track. We have two new racers joining our pack already this year and those are just the guys I know about so let's not make things complicated.

Now back to installing the NOS bottle on my kart.

Cheers,
CBASS

RoyW
First Name: Roy
Last Name: White

Post by RoyW »

We understand that in order to change the regulations for the races to the three tiered weights for shifter and engine combinations. We need a class member vote to pass the change.

Does anyone know how to do that? Is the right thing to do add it to a regular club meeting agenda?
Roy White

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Hi Roy,

I saw your post and figured using MSR would be an efficient way to get this resolved and also, I don't think there are any other club meetings planned till the Fall. So from what I could tell the final Options appeared to be:

After discussion on these forums, there are two options:

Option 1:
KZ 2010 and newer -> 410 lbs
ICC/FC 2009 and prior -> 400 lbs
Moto -> 375 lbs

or stay with last years rules which are:

Option 2:
KZ/ICC/Formula C -> 405 lbs
Moto -> 385 lbs

Here is the link to vote on these options: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/sh ... lub-322720. Voting will be open May 9 to May 25.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Nathan B
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Bartley

Post by Nathan B »

This one should probably have its own topic and maybe an email sent to shifter drivers to ensure they all vote?

Jaro51
First Name: Jaro
Last Name: Wardwell

Post by Jaro51 »

I'm curious about tires, have any of the fast guys done any testing with other CIK medium tires other than the MG's or MaxOne Purples? I see that Vega sells the Whites which are classified as CIK medium, are they any different than the MaxOne Purple or is it the same tire re-branded? Poking around on the web shows that there's also the Evinco Red and Lecont White which are both CIK medium. Anyone familiar with those tires and how they compare to Vega Purples?

Oh, as for the gentlemans rules for the class, is it open to any CIK medium or is it part of the gentlemans rules that the field should be running Vega Purple or MG yellow?

Thanks!

JW

Joey Guyon
First Name: Joey
Last Name: Guyon

Post by Joey Guyon »

Hi Jaro,

I tested all of the tires you listed last fall:
Vega white was more front grip and less rear grip than MG yellow. Same or 0.1 sec slower

LECONT white was 10 durometer points harder than MG yellow. Seemed to get better as it wore. Similar performance to MaxOne Blue but feels Mojo-ish

Evinco Red is a smidge harder than MaxOne Blue

Maxone Blue was 0.3 slower than MaxOne Purple which is my tire of choice. John Kwong ran the final last week on the Blue, maybe he can report. This tire seems as though it will have double the life of the Purple which may be perfect for weekend warriors looking for consistency amd improvement.

I currently stock:
MaxOne Purple $290
MaxOne Blue $270
MG yellow $270

Please let me know if you have more questions

Joey Guyon

RoyW
First Name: Roy
Last Name: White

Post by RoyW »

Too all Shifter drivers..... I know this is an old topic but I really feel that we need to drop the weight requirement for Honda stock moto to 365lbs instead of where it is to match it's power to weight ratio to the Vortex, IAMI, TM engines.

I am saying this because of the extensive testing Evan did and now has the race data to support the need for the change specific to the Calgary Track. So If you are in agreement, and if Jack can benefit, Can we agree to let Jack and other stock Moto run at 365 weight from here on in?

I feel that the stock moto being a less expensive engine option could help a lot more shifter drivers into the sport. We need more drivers.
Roy White

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

I'm ok with trying it. I really don't know that it will encourage anyone new to join the class but if it brings Jack into the mix at least....
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Post by Jackmazury »

I can’t make the 365 but I think that that should be the weight and would encourage some participation. this Sunday will hopefully be my last race on the Honda. I don’t see any issue with the Honda’s being allowed to run at 365, all it will do is level the field a bit more. The moto needs all the help it can get in Calgary. Thank you for your considerations Roy.
Shifter #30

Class Representative