Travel shifter racing in 2018?

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Joey Guyon
First Name: Joey
Last Name: Guyon
City/Town: Calgary

Travel shifter racing in 2018?

Post by Joey Guyon »

Hi All,

Who would be interested in some travel shifter racing? There is a series named WCKC that will travel to Calgary June 1-2-3 and Chilliwack August 24-25-26, how many people would load up and race Chilliwack? Jake won the nationals there in 2004 so maybe he has legendary status at that track!

The air is much better there so remember to richen those carbs if we give it a go!

Who is still dreaming of racing... there isn't any snow on the ground tonite!

Joey Guyon

Re: Travel shifter racing in 2018?

Post by Joey Guyon »

Hi again!

There was so much response on this one that I wanted to keep it going ;)

Thoughts on tires for this series? At our club the shifter rule is CIK medium, which is essentially "open" and we have been running:
MaxOne Purple
MaxOne Blue
Vega FM France White
MG yellow & equivalent: Evinco White etc

This works here and could likely bring the feel of "run what ya brung" to the series to allow shifter guys to play a little and boost numbers by adding local club entries without adding the cost of a set of tires dedicated to that race. Any benefit to spec'ing just one?

May as well get into the class weight talk again for 2018.

After dynoing engines this winter and driving on track this year I have a suggestion as to how to add some weight breaks for the local races (and suggest our findings to the WCKC):
KZ 405lbs: this would apply to the 2 most recent homologations 2013-2015 and 2016 to current (stamp on the engine would say expiry 21 or expiry 24. On my dyno these engines are 44-45hp
Vortex ROK shifter / TM KZ10ES / IAME X30 shifter 395 or KZ/ICC engine with expiry 18 and prior: these are "hobby" engines derived from their KZ counterparts. They are de-tuned on the cylinder side of things to increase durability and make them easier to tune. On my dyno these engines are 39-41hp
Motocross engines 380: pick your model, these guys need some help locally. I sped up a lot on a KZ10 ES vs my moto at Northstar.

Enjoy the holidays and I hope you guys get some shifter kart parts for Christmas!

Joey
Last edited by Joey Guyon on Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

A spec tire doesn't help anyone and I think the approach we have taken has proven to be the most inviting for competitors to come out and play.

So does TM K9 A,B,C, Maxter MXO and older Vortex motors fit in with the Vortex Rok Shifter? Not trying to stir the pot but specifics are important since we have such a variety of motors locally.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Joey Guyon

Post by Joey Guyon »

Hi John,

I will edit the above post to show the /18 homologation expiry which includes: TM KZ10 and prior (all K9 abc), Maxter MXO and prior (MXS and MXS2 are the new ones to be run at 405) , Vortex RVX I believe (RVXX is newer and RKZ is newest to be run at 405)

Please let me know your thoughts on this fellas!

Thanks for the tire input!

JG