Garrett Smith

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Ray.W
First Name: Ray
Last Name: Wilch
City/Town: Calgary Alberta

Garrett Smith

Post by Ray.W »

Fellow Racers,

Last week Garrett Smith was involved in a downhill mountain bike accident in British Columbia. He has injured his upper body and neck in the incident that has broken/fractured multiple vertebrae (C1,C3,C7). With his permission I am posting this information as his recovery continues.

He spent the last week at the foothills hospital in the spinal ward where the doctors were able to put his neck into traction. He has been immobilized with a Halo device to prevent movement of his neck. He currently is taking medication that limits his use of typing on cell phones. Feel free to reach out to him but he may not respond due to the medication.

His swelling has subsided with no lasting mobility issues in his extremities and has been released from the hospital with his Halo device to recover at home. He will be in the Halo for the next several weeks (12) before it is removed and he can start rehabilitation of his atrophied neck muscles.

His spirits have improved over the last week as more and more sensation returned and lingering questions have been answered. He faces a long road of recovery here and any positive thoughts for him would be appreciated.

Ray

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Garrett Smith

Post by Mark »

Wow. I came off my bike today at Nose Hill; so easy to do and happens so fast.

I have a good friend who is a former kart racer and avid mountain biker. He sustained a similar injury about 10 years ago. He's also a hugely experienced chiropractor who has patched me back up more times than I can count. PM me if you want his contact info; I'm sure he'd be a good guy to talk to.

Forza Garrett !
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Post by Jackmazury »

This was tough news to hear. Having raced DH myself I’ve seen this all too many times. All the best to Garrett in his recovery. Hoping it goes well and sending my best wishes for a speedy recovery. See you on the grid soon.

Jack
Shifter #30

Class Representative

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

Wishing Garrett a speedy recovery. Life can change very quickly, glad to hear it's not worse.

Phil

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Hey Garrett,

Hope you are feeling better each day and make a quick uncomplicated recovery.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

RAVEN
First Name: Robin
Last Name: White
City/Town: Banff

Post by RAVEN »

Hey Garrett

For sure wishing you a speedy and complete recovery,.....Gravity, ..... just when you think it's safe.....

All the best Bud, lets do some laps next season, will miss you out there circulating,.... that's why I like

my sporting endeavor's sitting down, shorter distance to terra firma.....

left a voice mail yesterday on your # as well when I read Ray's post.

Thanks Ray for putting it out there for us....

1 403 762 8098, [email protected]

Cheers
Rob W

Cabel
First Name: Cabel
Last Name: McElderry
City/Town: Red Deer

Post by Cabel »

Wishing a speedy recovery Garrett. Having rehabbed many athletes and weekend warriors take comfort knowing just how resilient our bodies are, sounds like in light of circumstances you’ve got all the best news you could in light of the situation. The same dedication and perseverance as your pursuit of finding your limits in sport will get you through this faster and better than you think. Listen to your body, work hard, and know you’ve got this!

Gerhard8020
First Name: Gerhard
Last Name: Roets
City/Town: Cochrane

Post by Gerhard8020 »

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Garrett. Stay strong. Look forward to hearing how you progress.

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

I wondered why you have not been returning my texts !!

All the best for a speedy recovery ... im betting you will be back in the sky long before the Max 8.