New Podium for 2019 - Briggs Superlight 310lbs?

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Joey Guyon
First Name: Joey
Last Name: Guyon
City/Town: Calgary

New Podium for 2019 - Briggs Superlight 310lbs?

Post by Joey Guyon »

Hi All,

I was at a meeting last weekend with the Presidents of the Western Canadian Kart Clubs. One topic that was brought up to help maintain the interest of current karters is to create a 310lb Briggs Superlight class for Senior drivers.

The idea is an alternative for the drivers who must add 40+ lbs of lead to make 345lbs OR for heavy J2 drivers that can no longer make 300lbs at ages 15 or so.

Please post your thoughts. Specifically if you may fit into this weight group.

Regards,

Joey

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Re: New Podium for 2019 - Briggs Superlight 310lbs?

Post by Mark »

I don't think it will fly for seniors. At 148 lbs, I'm certainly not the norm and I have to add about 25lbs of ballast to my 2017 Birel AM29 chassis to make weight at 340 lbs

Speaking as someone who is coming up fast (and will likely outbrake himself) on 50, I'm more interested in seeing the weight for Master's class come down a bit so I can race with people my own age rather than my weight.

The upside I would see to such a class is that it would take the kids out of Senior. But then the Senior grid would shrink. I think there is a real risk in fragmenting the class into a small superlight group, a slightly larger senior group and a still healthy masters group.

I think a better approach would be to revisit the age we consider "senior" and also look at our "masters" class -is it really masters or just "heavy" ?

Could we start a discussion on shaving 10 lbs off of Master's class ?? :mrgreen:
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Speedracer29
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Patterson

Post by Speedracer29 »

Don't like it.
Will dilute the Sr. Lite field.

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Post by Jackmazury »

im a bit to chubby for superlight (20LBS) . I agree with Patterson itll just take away from the senior light field
Shifter #30

Class Representative