Essential spare parts?

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Cabel
First Name: Cabel
Last Name: McElderry
City/Town: Red Deer

Essential spare parts?

Post by Cabel »

Aside from consumables like oil and chain lube etc are there essential spare parts you’d suggest someone in year 1 has on hand for track days?

A couple sprockets to experiment with gearing? Extra chain?

What are the other things I don’t yet that fail, get lost or you need in a pinch on a practice or race day?

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Essential spare parts?

Post by Jackmazury »

An extra chain and some sprockets is a good idea to have on hand to experiment with gear ratio as well in case one breaks. From my experience id advise against using the master link on the chains but rather invest in a chain breaker. Id recommend having a second 16 Tooth clutch sprocket on hand as well. If your using a #35 chain id suggest having 60-61-62 sprockets on hand, those should cover both track directions. Have a few extra wheel nuts as well if you use the copper ones and maybe an extra throttle cable, some people seem to snap these often. Make sure you have a funnel for the oil as its not the most accessible fill port. As well just some basic tools (metric sockets, metric wrenches, metric allen keys). Other then that you shouldn't need much for the briggs as most of the other parts take longer to wear out, just check everything tight as the vibrations can rattle things loose and you should be good to go. Someone else might be able to add more.
Shifter #30

Class Representative

Cabel

Post by Cabel »

My gearing is 15/58 presently, was going to order some sprockets i’ll maybe grab a pinion as well. (Read the post on gearing was gonna order a 56 and 54 to experiment as you suggested.) Is the sprocket alignment tool necessary? Thanks for the suggestions.

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

For chain alignment, a piece of 1/4" key stock works well. I don't think you would need to go as low as a 54 sprocket. 56-59 should work fine. Once you get dialed in, you may need the 16T drive gear, and the 60-62 range, as some of those ratios are between what you get with the 15. Work on consistency first, before starting the endless cycle of change for the sake of change. A spare air filter is a good idea, so you can trade to a clean one and take the dirty one home to clean, without any worries.

Phil

Rob Kozakowski
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Kozakowski
City/Town: Edmonton, AB

Post by Rob Kozakowski »

To add to the "spare" air filter, having an air filter set up with some kind of rain shield is nice to have on hand, ready to go in case the skies suddenly open up... saves a lot of time vs. having to either "create something on the spot" or figuring out how you mounted the thing last time.

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

The important spares are items that are specific to you kart and may not be immediately available from Overdrive or begged/borrowed form another driver at the track, like front spindles. Steering columns also come to mind. Tie-rods too and they are cheap so it’s a good idea to have at least one, bearing in mind that sometimes they are different lengths on some karts.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Cabel

Post by Cabel »

Rob can you post a picture of a filter rain shield that works? Seems like a good idea.

Thanks for all the input, good stuff i’ll for sure stock a few things

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Filter rain shield can be made from a tall yogurt container or a big peanut butter jar attached with gorilla tape. I don't have a pic to upload but it isn't too complicated. Mostly, you just need to have one with you in your kit that you can build on site if need be or better yet work out the kinks at home where it is dry and you're not in a hurry.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Rob Kozakowski
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Kozakowski
City/Town: Edmonton, AB

Post by Rob Kozakowski »

Sorry, I don't have any pictures right now either. Like John says, it doesn't need to be anything fancy... any medium sized empty plastic container should do... just something to help keep water from easily getting into the filter (you might need to drill some small holes in the container to let any water drain out that might try to accumulate in the container). If you don't, you run the risk of running through a puddle, sucking in water that gets kicked up, and killing the engine.

While you don't need to have a spare set up for it, I find that it makes life much easier to just unscrew the hose clamp, remove your "dry weather" filter, and throw the "rain setup" filter on, than it is to scramble to either figure out how to create something or remember how to attach whatever contraption you've already created.

Another alternative is to simply drill a hole through the end of your filter, insert a bolt on the inside of the filter, with some washers and a couple nuts on the outside of the filter. When it rains, you can remove the second nut, throw your shield on, and throw the 2nd nut back on to hold the shield on. Personally, I prefer that over trying to tape a shield on - it's generally a little "cleaner" setup and I find it faster than trying to figure out how to tape it on.

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

For the rain cover, I just drill a hole in a plastic container, as mentioned, and make the hole a snug fit, so it is essentially pressed onto the neck of the filter, and no tape is required. I'll try to find mine and get a picture. I may have some spare ones as well.

Phil