4-cycle class for 2012

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.

What 4-cycle engine package would you like to see used?

LO206
73%
Stock Animal
9%
WKA spec Animal
No votes
Modified Animal
No votes
Princess Auto Honda GX200 Clone
No votes
ASN Honda GX200
18%

Total votes: 11

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

4-cycle class for 2012

Post by John Kwong »

A couple races ago the 4-cycle racers took an informal poll among the racers that showed up that day to see which engine package the class would like to support for next year and beyond. I am creating a poll so that other club members and interested future 4-cycle racers can voice their opinions. Given that this is the more entry level Senior class, the engine decision affects the club as a whole as well. I have included all the types of engines that have been used in the past year.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Re: 4-cycle class for 2012

Post by Mark »

Hard to say. Vito and I have 3 clones between us so the obvious answer would be clone. However, if we're talkinga bout easy entry to karting then from what I know of the LO206 (which is not a heck of a lot) it may be a better option as it's ready to run out of the box and while there is nothing complex about prepping a clone, they take time to do.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

At the previously mentioned impromptu meeting it was mentioned that no engine would be turned away but would instead be classified in the catch-all Open class. They would still run all together but the LO206 class would be the points class. There has to be a clear definition of what the club supported 4-cycle entry level class will be in order to attract newcomers who are not familiar with the complexities of the karting class structure. The 4-cycle class has suffered for many years with confusing rules that change seem to change each year. The LO206 platform with the sealed crankcase and other tech rules in place has levelled the playing field.

John K
www.johnkwong.ca

Maxxxi
First Name: Max
Last Name: Roy
City/Town: Lethbridge

Post by Maxxxi »

There isn't an option to vote for the TKM 4 stroke. I'd love to see a class start for that but I doubt it'll be a class for another 3 years when the new track is hopefully ready.

As for the LO vs Animal, I vote the sealed LO206 as some people read the "stock animal" rules as they can change quite a few things including cams and such. Where the LO206 has clear rules that none of that may be changed. I fought to be even slightly competetive this year with my clone motor. And I had fun but was frustrating losing to people because they were faster down the straight than me with there "stock animals"

So yeah as said I vote TKM but since it isn't a choice then I'll go with LO206 as I wish I had purchased one at the start of the year.

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

Max

The TKM K4S is by far the best 4 stroke engine out there for reliability ,makes good power, produces even racing from a sealed motor, at a low cost per running hours and has been received very well over in Chilliwack where it has even take some Rotax guys into it, along with another 4 orders for next year they will have 14 motors out there

BUT the clue is in Johns post

"4-cycle entry level class"

The TKM K4S is not really an entry level engine ... although you could arguee that $/reliability and long running hours (300) at a price of around $2100 is quite good this motor really is designed for the driver who entered into the sport at the lower level /cost/Power 4 stroke LO206 / Honda to stay in 4 stroke racing at a lower cost compared to 2 stroke racing yet race at just around mid pack Rotax speeds.
Give it a few more years and I think it will start to have a future in the Canadian Karting Scene and it is always an option for the 4 stroke guys who want to go faster cheaper !!

Joey Guyon
First Name: Joey
Last Name: Guyon

Post by Joey Guyon »

If anybody needs a LO206, they will be In stock again before the new year!

Joey Guyon
Overdrive Motorsports
#107, 12159 44st SE
Calgary, AB
T2Z 4H3
(403) 270-0160

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Now that we are a one engine LO206 points championship, a weight division of light and heavy is probably the next step to determine. All Senior 4 racers would still be on track at the same time with recognition for each division. Over the years the heavy classes have traditionally been about 30 to 40 lbs more than the light class. If some of the potential heavy class competitors could reply on here as to what they would prefer the heavy class rule should be, that would give us a heads up before the meeting later in the month.

John Kwong
www.johnkwong.ca

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

The ASN regs have a weight of 340lbs, which would be the "light" class. Saskatoon runs their "heavy" class at 395lbs. I have spoken to Dave Campbell, who is the president of the Saskatoon club, & he offered to run with the weight we decide on. As John stated, the norm would be around a 40lb difference.

Phil