4-cycle clone class

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

4-cycle clone class

Post by John Kwong »

I was searching the web and came across some clubs that have started running Honda clone motors. SIKA (Southern Interior Karting Association) is the only one in Canada that I know of but they are getting fairly popular in the U.S. on dirt tracks. They have these motors at Princess Auto for $122 right now. Apparently, these ones (PowerFist) are actually built by Honda for Princess Auto. So with all the accessories to get it on a kart, they should come out to about $500. With the many used chassis that are around right now, an class like this couldn't be more affordable.

LInks:
SIKA club member site: http://www2.vip.net/~jgregg/
How to get a 6.5 hp clone engine race ready: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... t=lf&hl=en
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

RANDYKER

Re: 4-cycle clone class

Post by RANDYKER »

John, these engines are not built by Honda, they are a different bird completly, Staying with the honda engines are a good thing, 1st it is recognized by asn, 2nd there is continuity between all clubs in Canada and finaly the Honda's are cheap 5.5 hp cost me 340$, 6.5hp cost me 435$.

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

I have found arguments on the web that the Honda's are not built by Honda anymore either ;). Anyway, I didn't mean to jump the gun on adding another class, which is the last thing we need. Staying with the Honda would be a good thing and exactly for the reasons you mentioned but the Senior class runs the Animal motor. I wonder, if the Animals ran on gas instead of Methanol would they be competitive with the Honda GX200? According to the MyLaps data that I saw on our track, the Animals are about a second faster on methanol.
www.johnkwong.ca

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Before anyone gets their neck out of joint. This kart will be used for training, coaching, enticing new people and is just for fun. I was intrigued when I read about the clone motors on Bob's 4-cycle forums and the SIKA page made by the Gregg's in BC. The success and tribulations of people using these motors has been interesting. I wanted a winter project and slowly assembled the parts that I needed to make this kart a reality. I bought the motor at Princess Auto about a year and half ago and the chassis has been in my garage for almost a year completely bare. Recently, I got off my proverbial butt and gathered most of the components needed. See pics of progress so far.
Side
Side
IMG_5442.JPG (51.94 KiB) Viewed 19174 times
Front
Front
IMG_5444.JPG (32.85 KiB) Viewed 19173 times
Close up of top plate
Close up of top plate
IMG_5445.JPG (36.66 KiB) Viewed 19171 times
Clutch side with view of throttle linkage
Clutch side with view of throttle linkage
IMG_5446.JPG (46.28 KiB) Viewed 19172 times
Top view
Top view
IMG_5447.JPG (42.41 KiB) Viewed 19165 times
DC-One kart future clone chariot
DC-One kart future clone chariot
IMG_5448.JPG (55.64 KiB) Viewed 19158 times
So far cost has been very affordable relative to what karting equipment costs are these days.

PowerFist engine $125
MaxTorque clutch $50
Pulse fitting $1.95
Fuel Pump $25
Top Plate & throttle linkage (both homemade) $10
Header, carburator cup and filter (package deal on Ebay) $40
BMI 15 degree motormount ($38 US+ shipping+UPS brokerage charge) $70
Muffler from Princess Auto $10
Throttle cable and sheath $10
Fuel line $5

Total $346.95

The only motor work so far has been to remove the governor which I learned how to do from a YouTube video (seriously) and drilling the hole for the pulse fitting. The motor plate was made using CAD (Cardboard Aided Design :P ) and the throttle linkage assembly was done by copying several others that I had found pictures of on the net through Bob's 4-cycle forum. I even made a choke lever holder (see pics). It has been nice to work on something that wasn't just bolt on or spec and required some creativity to put it together. The experience so far has been part puzzle and part treasure hunt.

John K
www.johnkwong.ca

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Here are pics of the BMI mount I got. :arrow: http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=166
IMG_5454.JPG
IMG_5454.JPG (27.6 KiB) Viewed 19086 times
IMG_5455.JPG
IMG_5455.JPG (25.76 KiB) Viewed 19082 times
IMG_5456.JPG
IMG_5456.JPG (25.12 KiB) Viewed 19084 times
IMG_5459.JPG
IMG_5459.JPG (31.84 KiB) Viewed 19080 times
IMG_5461.JPG
IMG_5461.JPG (25.4 KiB) Viewed 19073 times
IMG_5463.JPG
IMG_5463.JPG (34.86 KiB) Viewed 19065 times
www.johnkwong.ca

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Here are some more pics. The kart is coming along and I only need a few more parts to complete it. If anyone has a used 50mmX90mm axle bearing that they have laying around, I would appreciate it. Joey gave me one already and a steering shaft bushing. Brent has also helped with some cheap parts too.
PowerFist clone mounted
PowerFist clone mounted
IMG_5533.JPG (89.34 KiB) Viewed 18963 times
Side view of the DC-One PowerFist Special
Side view of the DC-One PowerFist Special
IMG_5532.JPG (85.11 KiB) Viewed 18949 times
www.johnkwong.ca

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Response to the clone project has been quite positive with many interested parties and a few taking on their own projects. Here are a few more detailed pics of my throttle assembly and top plate.
IMG_5631.JPG
IMG_5631.JPG (67.82 KiB) Viewed 18665 times
IMG_5632.JPG
IMG_5632.JPG (64.21 KiB) Viewed 18647 times
Here is a pic of where I drilled the hole for the pulse tube outlet for the fuel pump.
IMG_5630.JPG
IMG_5630.JPG (73.09 KiB) Viewed 18640 times
Also, the low oil sensor plug on the front of the motor needs to be plugged. I just used the original plug and filled it with JB Weld.
IMG_5633.JPG
IMG_5633.JPG (62.36 KiB) Viewed 18631 times
www.johnkwong.ca

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

The Formula C-200 saw its first track time last night. It's been a couple years since I last drove a 4 stroke kart. A couple things were figured out. First of all the stock valve springs are pretty weak and the valves float at about 5500rpm. Best laptimes so far going CW south chicane was a 1.02.52. Not exactly quick but there is more potential there and that is the baseline to improve upon. With another donation of G200 valve springs (Thanks Gabor) and installation as darkness fell by Dan Lazar the motor made a much better sound at the end of the straightaway. Apparently, the gearing is too short as well with 15/60. 16/60 should get it more into the range to get more straightaway speed. The other thing figured out was the fuel pump needs to be flipped upside over to have the pulse tube facing down so that it doesn't fill up with crankcase oil. All you Honda Vets probably already knew this but I am practically a 4 stroke newbie again. This will be a small adjustment to the build. The emulsion tube is the EPA one which is apparently too lean for racing application, so I will be looking at getting the right one. Anyone know the right one for the Honda GX200 (E140 emulsion tube?)? As well, I think I will be getting the offset key to advance the ignition, which should help with the power in the higher rpm range.

This might sound like it is getting away from what the clone box stock concept was about but all these things are cheap and accessible to anyone and the overall investment will still be under $500 for a complete bolt on engine package. I will post updates to keep those interested in the know so these upgrades don't seem unobtainable.

John K
www.johnkwong.ca

Dan Lazar
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Lazar
City/Town: Victoria BC

Post by Dan Lazar »

dml
Last edited by Dan Lazar on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thughes
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Hughes

Post by thughes »

Hi Dan. Check the club records for the last five years. the animal group has always been a club class. We have over 15 karts in our group.
You are welcome to bring your clone motor but you don,t have the power to touch the animals.If you every get a chance to see racing in the states , there is hundreds of animal motors with up to 35 HP ..there is a bigger world out there beyond this club.