2015 LO206 class

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier
City/Town: Calgary

Re: 2015 LO206 class

Post by Mark »

leandro.foltram wrote:Hey Guys,

I'm moving to Calgary next August and I have the intention to start racing again. Say again, because I used to race during the 90's.

So, I would like to know if:

- Is there any Canadian made chassi?
- What chassi are you going to use? Birel, Tony, CRG?

Thank you very much.

Leandro Foltram
I am not aware of any chassis made in Canada. Most are made in Italy and are branded for different companies.

Each brand is a little different. Some are more expensive and have more adjustability; some use custom components you can only get from that company. In the end, I have seen good driver drive beat up junk and win races. I have also seen LOTs of people show up with brand new equipment and get lapped.

Racing is about experience. Some people have a natural talent but most of us learn from doing laps; LOTS of laps !

In your first season, I wouldn't worry too much about the brand of the chassis as much as being sure you can get parts quickly (preferably at the track). Then get your butt in the seat and do laps. Be sure to ask questions. There are no dumb questions; just ones that could make you faster.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

See first post for updated provisional entry list.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Willoughby
First Name: Justin
Last Name: Willoughby

Post by Willoughby »

Hey guys,

I'm currently putting together a LO206 Kart as well. Not sure how many DD2 karts will be out and running this year at every event so I wanted something that I could race along with my DD2. Looks like a great class with great competition. Im a rookie as well and I think if I need to log some lap time Id rather not put all those hours on my Full Evo updated and rebuilt rotax so I see this as a win win. I hope to see all of you out there. On another note does anyone have an idea on when rooking school will be Im hoping not either April 4th or 11th as I am on holidays.

Cheers,
Justin

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Rookie School is on the Google Calender on the Race Schedule page and it is on May 16 and 17.

John K
www.johnkwong.ca

galavidze
First Name: Amiran
Last Name: Alavidze

Post by galavidze »

Is it a two day school, do would I need to attend one day only? And how do I sign up?

samk
First Name: Sam
Last Name: Kozma
City/Town: Airdrie

Post by samk »

All rookies are supposed to take the rookie school. It is actually really good in that it teaches you some driving tips, racing lines, flags, rules and track etiquette.

Email [email protected] and Fred will get you set up. Plan on showing up those days as well.

Thanks.

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

We usually run the Rookie School for only one day but because of the anticipated large demand this year we have expanded it to two days. I will be setting up the Rookie School as an event to register for on MotorSportReg.com to help us to better gauge the number of New Drivers for this year.

John Kwong
www.johnkwong.ca

Dennyb
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Bauer

Post by Dennyb »

Hi, a couple questions about the registering process. Do we need to have a transponder before we register? There is a question in the Kart Type portion of the questionaire about my transponder number. Also, there is a a Senoir Briggs Light/Heavy option to choose. Can somebody break that down for me? What is the weight requirements for each class? I bought a used PCR with the Briggs engine from Joey. What does this approx weigh?
Dennis

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Hi Dennis,

The transponder question in the registration process of MotorSportReg.com is under the vehicles section and MotorSportReg.com does not let us alter that. You can however get past this part if you do not have a transponder yet by entering 123456. This will let us know that you do not have your own transponder yet for the Rookie School. Once you have your transponder number, you can go back into your profile and edit the proper number in.

Senior Briggs is split into a light and heavy class but runs on the track at the same time. The weight class splits for driver and kart weight combined are 350 lbs and 375 lbs.

A Briggs engined kart will weigh approximately 150 -160 lbs. Your safety equipment (helmet, suit, rib protector, boots and gloves) will add 5-8 lbs.

John K
www.johnkwong.ca

leandro.foltram
First Name: Leandro
Last Name: Foltram
City/Town: Santo André, SP - Brazil

Post by leandro.foltram »

CKRCAdmin wrote:
leandro.foltram wrote:Hey Guys,

I'm moving to Calgary next August and I have the intention to start racing again. Say again, because I used to race during the 90's.

So, I would like to know if:

- Is there any Canadian made chassi?
- What chassi are you going to use? Birel, Tony, CRG?

Thank you very much.

Leandro Foltram
I am not aware of any chassis made in Canada. Most are made in Italy and are branded for different companies.

Each brand is a little different. Some are more expensive and have more adjustability; some use custom components you can only get from that company. In the end, I have seen good driver drive beat up junk and win races. I have also seen LOTs of people show up with brand new equipment and get lapped.

Racing is about experience. Some people have a natural talent but most of us learn from doing laps; LOTS of laps !

In your first season, I wouldn't worry too much about the brand of the chassis as much as being sure you can get parts quickly (preferably at the track). Then get your butt in the seat and do laps. Be sure to ask questions. There are no dumb questions; just ones that could make you faster.

I appreciate your answer and all information.

I've been driving karts for a long time and I have a brazilian national champion title. So I have a reasonable experience, I just have to get used to the L0206 engine and the track.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to race this year, however I intend to visit the track during the weekends to get familiarized to the local drivers and maybe help someone with chassi setup and general mechanics. If someone needs help, feel free to ask me to be a volunteer.