Kart gearing

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
d4rk5trok3r
First Name: jason
Last Name: thorell
City/Town: calgary

Re: Kart gearing

Post by d4rk5trok3r »

Awesome, thanks for the fantastic reply! Really appreciate the detail provided, makes a big difference online, not always the best information out there.

I have the solid drum, with a 15 tooth, on it right now, and a 58 in the rear. I found a gearing chart, but a calculation shows 15/58 to be nearly the same as 16/62 (was a suggestion for gearing start).

I have only put down 20 laps so far, but am excited at all the learning about subtle chassis adjustments, and the effect.

I used to ride/race motorbike x-country/scramble, and the club forum was super active, and usefull. So far CKRC has been every bit as good, looking forward to contributing.

Thanks again for the stellar posts!

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier
City/Town: Calgary

Post by Mark »

The 15/58 you have is a good start; this will give you more pull out of the corners while you learn the track and get a handle on the kart. If you find you are on the rev limiter for anything more than a couple of seconds at the end of the straight, drop a tooth on the driven gear.

Ultimately, you'll want a 16/59-ish (depending on your weight) setup.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

d4rk5trok3r
First Name: jason
Last Name: thorell
City/Town: calgary

Post by d4rk5trok3r »

that flame clutch looks sweet.

What would be the weighting / springs to use for the lo206 with that clutch? I have a 15t drum, so that would save a little, and just grabbing a 59 to have some more versatility.

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Post by John Kwong »

The front runners are using 16/60 which is 3.75:1 which equates to between a 15/56 or 15/57. The Draggin Skin clutch is a nice light clutch but the shoe design and material isn't quite as tough as the Hilliard and the Hilliard hooks up better. The slight bit of weight here or there doesn't really make any difference.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/