New Podium for 2019 - Masters Plus @ 400lb?

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Joey Guyon
First Name: Joey
Last Name: Guyon
City/Town: Calgary

New Podium for 2019 - Masters Plus @ 400lb?

Post by Joey Guyon »

Hi Guys,

We had a GREAT meeting with the heads of the Western Canadian kart clubs. One idea that was brought up would be to have a new podium within Briggs SR, called Masters Plus. This would be for minimum 190lb dudes with 400lb total weight karts.

The karts would run at the same time as Briggs Heavy.

Perhaps a chance for the size 64 suit wearing fellas to have a chance?

The concept is to retain drivers that are too heavy to be competitive at 370, but still love to join club races.

Thoughts?

Joey
Last edited by Joey Guyon on Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Re: New Podium for 2019 - Masters Plus @ 400lb?

Post by Jackmazury »

I think this could definitely work at the larger races which see 40-50+ briggs entries, however if we are talking about implementing this at our club I’m not sure it makes sense as some races this year we had light and heavy mixed due to low entry numbers. Maybe another option is setting the heavy class weight to 400lbs however knowing that there are a few people with 50+lbs of lead on heavy karts that have no interest racing light already I’m not sure how interested they would be in. Realistically I think most people are happy racing where they are at currently. the current briggs formula seems to be working exceptionally well as is. Just my .02

Jack
Shifter #30

Class Representative

franksartor
First Name: Franco
Last Name: Sartor

Post by franksartor »

I thinks it's a great idea if we can get the numbers, more podium possibilities. Now I don't have to diet. :lol:

Cheers,
Franco Sartor

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

I personally don't see the point in changing what is already there. Alan weighs 215, and comes in around 380, so I think that would leave a class of two or three that would be over 400. I also don't see a need for a "super light" class. It just all dilutes the field. And we have some of the biggest fields in western Canada, so I'm not sure why other clubs would consider this either? And I don't recall that many super heavy, or super light people at the other tracks either.

Phil

2eyedjack
First Name: neil
Last Name: shearer
City/Town: okotoks

Post by 2eyedjack »

My first 2 seasons with the club I came in at 420+lbs and struggled away at the back of the pack. I didn't get out much this year but I did shed almost 40lbs (without removing my left leg like Joey suggested as you don't need it anyway apparently!) and took almost 2 seconds off my lap times, coming in at 385lbs in the only race I did
If the slightly heavier class had been available back then I would have competed there for sure, but my incentive was to lose weight and be more in the mix.
I'm happy to stay in the heavy class and give up a few lbs.
Phil is right that there aren't many at that weight now, both Ernie and I were the heavier end of the heavies, but we've both given up the fries and cant blame our weight any more!!

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

I feel the need to clarify my previous post. I don't have any problem with the idea of the extra classes, I just don't see the point until we are in a position where we would have to split the grid anyway due to numbers. Until then lets not mess with something that appears to be working well. If we are going to do it "just because" then we need to add more weight classes to the juniors, the Rotax classes, the shifters, etc, etc.

Phil

jtunks
First Name: John
Last Name: Tunks

Post by jtunks »

I would like to throw my opinion into the mix. I'm new to the sport this year, and opted for rotax because I knew with my weight (more in the 250+ lb range) I knew that there wasn't a chance for me in Briggs. I am still debating whether I will be racing next year because in any class I am at a substantial disadvantage and lets face it, driving around at the back of the pack really isn't that much fun.

Still definitely planning to be part of CKRC and hoping to turn a lot more laps next year but if there was a class where once I improved enough driving the kart that I actually had a shot in the races, I would be all over it instead of debating if it even makes sense to get out for the races.

Ernie
First Name: Ernie
Last Name: Plett
City/Town: Gem

Post by Ernie »

I have mixed thoughts on this topic. Like Neil I would have been all over it in my first two seasons as well. While I was fortunate enough to have shed some pounds and come in a little closer to the heavy class minimum I know that this is not possible for everyone.

I have helped out at enough TAK’s to know that there are always a few “heavy’s” like me interested and wonder if they stay away from racing for fear of always being at the back. I can tell you from experience that it does get old!

I actually feel that a 400# minimum class may attract more into the sport. However with the numbers in our club they would probably still need to run with the 380# class.

Another alternative that might be to limit the amount of lead that can be added to the kart to reach minimum weight. Let’s face it there are quite a number now racing in the heavy class that are well below the minimum with out weight added. Weight that is at a much lower centre of gravity than a heavy driver.

Having said that,I do appreciate a large grid (even if it is all in front of me) and enjoy racing with everyone in the Briggs class.

Ernie.

Jasoncoroy
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Coroy

Post by Jasoncoroy »

Hi Joey, I think it is great idea, I weigh in at 413 with kart and there were a few others out there that are the same or higher. I didn’t race once last year as there is no point, I like the Briggs class but paying to ride the back is not something I’m interested in. I think a 400 lb class would not only get me into the racing but I believe there are others to shy to rock the boat that would be in.
Thanks for enabling this conversation.
Jason

Joey Guyon
First Name: Joey
Last Name: Guyon

Post by Joey Guyon »

Good replies guys, please keep the feedback coming. Looking for PROS and CONS to setting up the Masters Plus as a trial class in 2019.

If it goes ahead, it would be great to push this at the winter trade shows

Regards,

Joey