New Podium for 2019 - Masters Plus @ 400lb?

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier
City/Town: Calgary

Re: New Podium for 2019 - Masters Plus @ 400lb?

Post by Mark »

How about we get everyone to list what they weigh-in at and how much lead they have on (if any) to achieve that ?

I think some stats would shed light as to where the majority lie and so on. I'd be willing to crunch the numbers.

I can start:

Mark Hillier 341 with 25lbs of ballast
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

Phil Haggerty 375 lbs, no lead

Alan Haggerty 380lbs no lead, no fuel

2eyedjack
First Name: neil
Last Name: shearer
City/Town: okotoks

Post by 2eyedjack »

Neil Shearer 385lbs no lead no fuel

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

John Kwong 352 lbs no lead
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Post by SteveO »

2018 Steve Orton 367 pounds - no lead. 8 lbs req'd to meet class minimum.
In 2019, I'll be Dave Cameron's doppelgänger!!!

Ernie has some great points. The new class could work if there was a restriction that NO lead could be added to the kart for drivers in this class. That would keep it an even playing field.

Run them with the Briggs Heavy class, until it gets big enough to justify it's own class. That would provide opportunities for the heavier guys to get in, and play with kids their own size.
I don't think any of the guys currently running in the Heavy class would have any desire to race with the Light class if they couldn't make weight, so I think this idea should be further investigated. The more opportunities that we provide for drivers, allows us to continue growing.
Just look at the success the club has had with the Briggs Heavy & Rotax Masters classes; their growth has been phenomenal.
Stephen Orton

Murr15
First Name: Murray
Last Name: Hanna

Post by Murr15 »

I need 30 lbs to make heavy weight

Hell yeah make another class, if there are people out there who aren't racing because they feel like they are not running for anything or they won't have people race with lets do it.

Murray #41

DaveC
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Cameron

Post by DaveC »

Sounds like a great idea ... If we are getting additional karts on the grid, that is always good. If we are just taking karts out of Masters and into Heavy/Plus/Sumo, not sure, seems like rearranging the deck chairs. But if it's -3 from Masters and +3 from guys that do not race today, sounds great. Kind of sounds funny talking about losing 3 Masters being an OK thing ...
Dave Cameron
Briggs Masters #12

CamW
First Name: Cam
Last Name: Whitehead

Post by CamW »

Cam #56 I am 350 lbs plus 25 lbs of weight. Don't think I really want to add another 25 lbs to the kart.

Rob Kozakowski
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Kozakowski
City/Town: Edmonton, AB

Post by Rob Kozakowski »

I think having ONE class for the “even bigger” guys is smart at the club level.

What generally happens is those guys will go Shifter or Rotax racing because the extra LBS maybe hurt performance less with the extra HP... but what’s forgotten is those karts beat you up more... especially when you’re bigger.

Point being, I think Briggs is the perfect place for an “even bigger” guys class. At that size, you have to admit your F1 career options are limited, so give those folks a place to go have some cheap fun.

Odds are that rather than seeing it as “losing” a few from the existing Masters class, you’ll end up with fewer uncompetitive (due to their size) existing Masters class drivers (who might quit anyways because of their disadvantage), and shifting them to a new heavier class with a few extra entries where they can compete and they’re more likely to stick with racing for longer.

At 205, I’d generally use fuel to make 375 lbs (I think that’s the weight) in Briggs Masters with no lead. In other words, I think if a minimum driver weight is used, it would have to be well above 190 LBS!

Tom
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Peterson
City/Town: Okotoks

Post by Tom »

The success of the Briggs class has been fantastic, adding another niche to open up participation further is a great idea. With kart, gear and gas I weigh in at 390lb I for one would welcome an extra weight class. I would like to suggest that we take in one small step further and make it a stock animal class. This will provide a home for all the tired LO206 motors and give the bigger guys a few more RPMs to work with to get up the hill. I would run this class for sure as would my brother who has been absent partially due to the weight classes and 400lb would be ideal for him.
This will certainly add more karts to the grid on race day.