Pre-requirements to join class

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
t3ch
First Name: Anthony
Last Name: Therrien-Bernard
City/Town: Calgary

Pre-requirements to join class

Post by t3ch »

Hi everyone,
I'm a new member currently shopping for a kart i'm looking at probably starting in the rotax class. I was wondering what are the pre-requirements that need to be meet for example if a certain number of "laps" need to be earned prior to coming to a race

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Re: Pre-requirements to join class

Post by Jackmazury »

First off welcome, if you have not driven a racing kart before briggs would be a more advisable class to begin with. Less maintainence and much shallower of a learning curve. However if you do want to start with rotax, you should be within roughly 110% of the pole time on a race day. Times obviously differ from practice to race days. Senior rotax probably somewhere in the 55’s or 56’s would be slowest acceptable pace and in masters some drivers lap around 1:00 so anywhere in the 59’s and lower would be acceptable. There is no lap requirement however significant practice will likely be required before racing in order to get comfortable with the kart and in to the time range. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions

Jack
Shifter #30

Class Representative

t3ch

Post by t3ch »

Hi Jack thanks for your reply.
I'm new to competition karting but I have however raced rental karts a lot in my life and have a bit of autocrossing and ice dice experiencing. I'm looking at both briggs and rotax right now but the temptation of a bit faster kart is strong! :D

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

One of the requirements is you must attend Rookie School ..... Saturday April 27th 10 am at Tundra Process Solutions Building 3200 118 Ave SE

Even if you don't intend to race you must attend this School.

Seniors have no restrictions to be able to race but you should be able to lap within 107% of that class lap times .... practice, practice, practice.... if in doubt ask someone to watch you and ask the question "would I be willing to race with you"

t3ch

Post by t3ch »

Thanks a lot Fred!