Rookie Advice on Weight Class

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Cabel
First Name: Cabel
Last Name: McElderry
City/Town: Red Deer

Rookie Advice on Weight Class

Post by Cabel »

So after Try-a-Kart last year I knew I'd have to be out to race this year. :)

I bought a Riccardo DRF-01 w/Briggs from an EDKRA member at the end of last season.

My question is this: Kart & Driver with 1/4 tank of fuel I'm 347lbs.

Is it worth adding the 30 lbs of ballast to drive in the heavy class?

Either way I'm sort of preparing to end up mid field or at the back for most of this season as I learn the ins and outs of racing, the course, and setup but any words of the wise to a rookie racer?

Also should the suggestion be to add the ballast, is Joey/OD Karts then who I should talk to for scaling and weight?

Any other advice to make the most of my first season with you all?

Thanks and looking forward to getting to know many of you this year.

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Rookie Advice on Weight Class

Post by Jackmazury »

I wouldn’t worry too much about being 7lbs over the class weight. There’s a few in light that are over and still run up front. If you do decide to go the heavy route joey is a good resource.
Shifter #30

Class Representative

Cabel

Post by Cabel »

Thanks Jack, I guess I was more asking as a older rookie is the light so competitive that I'm better off to add the weight?

I think Steve said the light class was dominated by much younger drivers (I'm 43)

Jackmazury

Post by Jackmazury »

The light class has definitely seen an influx of younger drivers, while at the same time seeing a slight decline from the old guard going to masters. This has been largely attributed to the growth of the briggs classes and the greater competition seen because of this. Light is likely the more competitive of the two where as masters is a more relaxed class. This all being said John K is still faster then many (most if not all) people in light who are half their age. If your still deciding after this, maybe try a race in light before going out and purchasing ballast and then decide where to go from there.
Shifter #30

Class Representative

Cabel

Post by Cabel »

Makes sense, thanks! Now anything you can to make spring come faster? :D

Jackmazury

Post by Jackmazury »

one can only dream
Shifter #30

Class Representative

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Post by SteveO »

Hi Cabel,

Spring is coming, just not fast enough!

Jack's spreading some great advice. Since it's your first year, I'd get out and practice as much as you can without any weight.
When you're comfortable, which might be the first race of the year, jump in the Senior class and see how it goes.
If it looks like the guys your speed, age & weight are in the Masters, then throw on the weight for the next race. 30 pounds is significant enough, but there are drivers competing in Masters that have more than that. Last I checked, lead was around $5 a pound.
Stephen Orton

Cabel

Post by Cabel »

I haven’t officially “joined” yet but that’s just the webform and a credit card, I’m assuming I must attend the rookie school before I can use the track for practice? Or might there be opportunities to join veteran members at the track prior to if I sign up early? Forgive the childish exuberance but my new toy has been sitting in the garage since the day the snow flew!

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Post by SteveO »

If you're a member, and the track is open prior to the Rookie School, you can definitely put your kart on track.
If you are not a member, there is a nominal fee ($50 I think) to be a Test & Tune day member.

Either way, club members will definitely help you get up to speed. We love sharing what little knowledge we have.
However, when you catch up to us, we might not be so willing...j/k!
Stephen Orton

Jackmazury

Post by Jackmazury »

Keep an eye on the event calendar for updates. Once the track is clear test and tunes will begin. We are hoping for mid April.
Shifter #30

Class Representative