About main jets on PZ22!!

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
MHaddon
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Haddon
City/Town: Calgary

Re: About main jets on PZ22!!

Post by MHaddon »

Cabel wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:50 pm What I've found as a rookie so far Mike:

1) If you're seeing ppl pull away in the straights they're likely running a taller gear. Andy commented on this with my kart when I think I was running my 61 or 62 in the back, but I was never finding the limiter. Now I'm finding my limiter up the front straight and before the hairpin into the chicane (with a 60 in the back) which many tell me is what to expect. The shorter gear in the back is helping me compensate for my lack of consistency in the corners with a little more acceleration yet so might help you.

2) I've been messing with tire pressures a lot as I know the impact they have in my car at autocross, in the cooler temps when I seen you last that 14 PSI cold mark was proving to be the spot for my most consistent runs and consistent feel of traction, but I have a hunch I'm going to like a little lower with the warmer temps and will test that next (and see a few others like that 11-12 range.)

3) Are you pushing the wheel to turn to push your body weight into the back corner of your seat toward the outside of the turn? This still feels counterintuitive and I find I'm not as consistent as I need to be yet in where my bodyweight is going, that and too aggressively turning in on a couple of the tighter corners which I think is giving me the loss of rear traction and loss of momentum as I correct (compounded by making adjustments for fitting my lack of height comfortably in my kart, but I think I have that sorted now.)

When I seen you last I noticed you had front torsion bar in, did you take it out? Consensus I've got so far is for baseline leave that out until you stop improving.

Don't know if that helps, but these are the things that found me a couple seconds, anxious to get back on track again.
Cabel, all things worth looking into and trying, tire pressures for me so far require a number of stipulations to consider, all of which right now are guess and check, lowering and increasing grip, over steer under steer, having the tires heat up correctly but not having too much pressure as to over heat the tires and have them become to "slick". And body positioning is definitely something im learning more about, but certainly seat time as everyone says is super important.

MHaddon
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Haddon
City/Town: Calgary

Re: About main jets on PZ22!!

Post by MHaddon »

phil wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:22 pm If you are seeing people pull away from you on the straight, there is a very good chance you are trying to go in too hot, and are losing out on exit. Also possibly getting on the throttle too early, which drops the inside rear wheel, and causes the front to plow through the exit, which means you will be turning the wheel slightly to compensate. ANY amount of steering on exit will slow the kart down drastically.

Phil
Phil thanks for the input, currently im reading a book to better understand all the info I get from all you very experienced drivers out there. I understand what you mean, but in quick transitions and speeds, with a varying amount of new factors that I am learning about means I need more seat time. the best i can do for now is imagine the corners i have issues on and try to apply what is being said.

Its hard for me to imagine how not applying power is going to make me quicker, but it does make sense because the last turn before the finish line CCW, I always tried to enter with high speed and full throttle to try and carry forward speed for the long straight. but I always had steering inputs and counter steering at the exit, which does make sense to what you are saying.

Thanks