If you race shifter/rotax, why do you also race 4-stroke?

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
evannadeau
First Name: Evan
Last Name: Nadeau
City/Town: Calgary

If you race shifter/rotax, why do you also race 4-stroke?

Post by evannadeau »

Hi guys, this is a fully honest question. I am wondering for those of you like John and others who run the 4-stroke class, as well as Rotax and/or Shifter, what is it about the 4-stroke class that keeps you in it also?

Is it not a fairly different driving style? Could/Does it not take your mind to a different type of racing? Or does it actually help you with the faster classes?

Thanks,
Evan.
VLR #42

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Re: If you race shifter/rotax, why do you also race 4-stroke?

Post by Jackmazury »

I used to do 4 stroke alongside the shifter. The 4 stroke is fun for the close racing and the precision it requires to be quick over a race distance. As well the cost is cheap, so if you feel not busy enough during a race day it’s not a significantly more expensive addition to run at the same time. So where the faster karts are fun for the speed, arguably no class is as competitive as the 4 stroke currently.
Shifter #30

Class Representative

evannadeau

Post by evannadeau »

Thank you for your reply, Jack.
VLR #42

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Ditto, what Jack said.

The Briggs racing has had large grids and been very competitive for a long time. It has been a ton of fun. I have found the Briggs class is harder mentally as it has more constant stress from concentration and requires more strategy to win. If you watch my old onboard videos, you can see the wheel to wheel action goes on for the complete race.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

evannadeau

Post by evannadeau »

Thanks John. This is kind of what I was expecting, that the close racing is what keeps people racing the 4-stroke class.

Thanks again guys.
VLR #42

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Post by SteveO »

I raced Rotax for a number of years, before joining in on the Briggs racing. I figured that since I was at the track anyways, why not race a second class; I saw John doing it, so how hard could it be? ;)

I struggled at times keeping the Rotax running properly, whereas the Briggs never gave me any headaches. I gave up on the Rotax when I realized that I was having far more fun racing the Briggs. And there was always competition for every corner, while the Rotax drivers were far more separated and were occasionally racing by themselves. Then there's the mental aspect that John alluded to. In Briggs you have to be perfect, every corner, as you don't have horsepower to make up for driver errors. But I do miss the sound & smell of the Rotax!
Stephen Orton

evannadeau

Post by evannadeau »

Thanks very much, SteveO.

I'm sure I will get to enjoy some Briggs actions this year in the Try A Kart/Rent A Kart stuff, and I am really looking forward to returning to the club after 13 years.

I also see you are the Try-A-Kart co-ordinator. I'm sure we will speak soon ( as they release us from confinement).

Evan.
VLR #42

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

We are going to see how good the old man (Kwong) is in VLR this year !! LOL