Briggs L0206 info

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Dan Lazar
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Lazar
City/Town: Victoria BC

Re: Briggs L0206 info

Post by Dan Lazar »

dml
Last edited by Dan Lazar on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Post by John Kwong »

The real limiter and equalizer of the LO206's is the 6100 rpm limited ignition. So if there are some flowbench scientists out there, then the magical head work can still be fooled around with but a sealed up spec cam and that ignition should limit the gains to a minimum. There isn't any way that they could have sealed the head or the valve cover given the need to clean the carbon off the piston and re-set valve lash. In this modern racing era, spec is the new black. Greater speed thrills and related cost increase are for other classes. I like my cheapo, porous casting $100 clone motor but there is a place for the LO206 which will fit nicely on a newcomers kart with very little knowledge or effort.

JK
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Dan Lazar

Post by Dan Lazar »

dml
Last edited by Dan Lazar on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

I also recall Joey saying that there are about 13 templates that the head has to match, so head work would be very limited.

Phil

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

The issue really is a "Entry Level" sr4 package for the senior karting beginner. The TKM is a real racing engine with all that it means.
I agree Dan and I have tried to push along the TAG version of the TKM4S but as Tal-Ko say it is only the US and Canadian market that wants this and they are both such a small part of World Karting compared to the European markets that the development costs for now (remember Europe is still in a deep resession)is prohibitive for the few engines they would sell but it is still in the works in the future. Although if you take the TKM and its long life between rebuilds (mine did 302 hours) it works out at $6 per session that is "Entry Level Karting" at cost. Even at my offer to WCKC of $2000 a motor you could get 3 LO206 motors I would still wager that the TKM will still be in one piece long after the 3 Briggs engines have been consigned to a parts box labeled as spares. WCKC has finally seen the light and are going to TKM its just a shame the rest of Canadian Karting dont get it

The Clone above all engines I guess fits this ideal, but why even bother with sealing just make it a claimer class so that it would be pointless to do any work on it.

Whatever comes to be lets just hope we can start to build more racing members into the club as this and this alone should be the main priority of what engine should be used.

Matt Bradley
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Bradley
City/Town: Dalmeny, Sk.

Post by Matt Bradley »

Thought I'd weigh in with my two cents worth.
Here in Saskatoon we have several racers going with the LO206 next year, and we should have a good sized field.
Five years ago I would have called you crazy if you told me I'd ever run a Briggs, but these are extrememly well built engines. You'll notice that they've even gone with metric bolts in their quest to market this around the world. They're throwing a huge amount of support and promotion behind it, and I believe they're doing it right.
As far as performance goes, I've had mine out a few times and loved it. There is better grunt out of the corners than the Honda and better pull down the straight.
At 500 dollars it's a very affordable way to get a new engine so you could actually end up with 4 of these for 1 TKM4S. (yes, you will have the extra cost of a pipe for the Briggs, but at least you can use your old clutch). For someone starting out in karting, or a veteran on a limited budget, $2000 would be a steep investment for an engine, despite its longevity. Fred, your bias is really showing here, and since you are a dealer I can understand that. And, in fairness, maybe I too am biased toward the Briggs, since I've already purchased the LO206.
I find it interesting that the seals and timing are such a concern. Cheaters will always try to cheat, but at least some steps have been taken to lessen that. The rest is up to your tech inspector, and I'd assume you have faith in him.
Only Briggs authorized dealers can do the seals. In Saskatoon Gary Lanzer is the dealer. I would assume someone in Calgary already is, and I would imagine they will be soon be authorized right across the country.
I'm glad CKRC is moving toward the LO206. This should also help to nicely fill out the 4 stroke fields for the WCC.

The bottom line is, I believe the LO206 is going to be good for karting because:
- it should get us all back to having a universal 4 stroke, which can lead to better inter-club competition.
- it's less expensive than a Honda
- most importanly, 4 stroke is the way most racers get started. By keeping the costs down you have a better chance of increasing your membership. And that is what keep our clubs alive.

Matt Bradley
Saskatoon Kart Racers

Dan Lazar

Post by Dan Lazar »

dml
Last edited by Dan Lazar on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

Matt
I am not biased just stating a fact, I dont care what engine any one has and I am not making a living off the TKM all sales have been at cost, I am just trying to show that there is a better alternative out there per dollar running cost and power thats all and I would still put up a TKM reliability against any other 4 stroke out there ...yes even 4 of them. I believe that whatever motor is chosen that the West should adopt it unilateraly for the sake of parity and cross Province competition. I did laugh however about your comment about Metric bolts Briggs and Stratton engines have been rejected Europe wide and will never race there (oh they might on the 25 hour lawn mower race held in the UK)the WF lasted 1 year and you could not give them away my team threw 6 in the dumpster after 1 year and thankfully WF went away with the same whimper that it entered into European Karting so if that is Briggs master move for World domination Ford might still have a chance in selling the Mustang to the Europeans too.. BTW I am looking forward to a good large field of 4 strokes in the WCC lets just hope we get them.

Matt Bradley
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Bradley
City/Town: Dalmeny, Sk.

Post by Matt Bradley »

Fair enough Fred. From my understanding the LO206 has many changes and improvements, but maybe they are similar to the old World Formula. I've since done some investigating on the TKM, and you're quite right, they are a good performer and very durable. As I said though, my concern is the large layout of money all at once.
Dan, even with the rev limiter I think you might be surprised by the performance. I used the 206 against some Hondas, and was running at least a second a lap faster without pushing it... I was coasting into corners and not driving as hard as I normally would.
In '09 when we were in Calgary for the WCC the Hondas were about 2 seconds off the Animals there. The LO206 will be close to the other Animals. Maybe off by just a bit, but it'll make it more fun than before.
I can remember back in '76 when 4 strokes were coming in (yes, I was racing back then). They weren't nearly as fast as the McCulloch's we were running and it took a while to come up with a solution to even the playing field. I'm confident the same will happen here.
If it can be affordable, karting will continue to grow.

See you at the track !

Joey Guyon
First Name: Joey
Last Name: Guyon

Post by Joey Guyon »

Hi Guys,

The only correction I will make to the discussion is the the LO206 is a Sealed engine from the factory BUT - - - NOBODY is authorized to re-seal. Which means no repairs or rebuilds or blueprints.

So yes there will be dealers but there will not be any rebuild centers with ability to re-seal, instead new bottom ends can be purchased for $300.

Feel free to continue your lovely talks ;)

Regards,

Joey Guyon
Overdrive Motorsports