Clone Out- L0206 In

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Dave Barlass

Clone Out- L0206 In

Post by Dave Barlass »

The clone ran very well right up to the point that it seized :o . Unfortunately that was only after 3 laps ;) ! Its back in the box and being returned for a full refund 8-) (those water pumps are really tough on engines!) Picked up a LO206, had it mounted and ready to go in 2 hrs :D . Will break it in tomorrow and have it ready for the evening T&T. Hoping to get at least 10 laps out of this one :lol: !
Looks like a well built engine, good fit and finish. Plugs right into the hole left by the Honda and temporarily occupied by the clone.
Rev limited to 6100 rpm so any ideas on gearing? Was using 16-58 with the 5.5 Honda so was thinking that 16-57 might be in the ballpark.

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Clone Out- L0206 In

Post by John Kwong »

Hi Dave,

Hopefully, your problem with the clone is an aberration. :(

When I test drove the LO206 last year I had a 15/56 (3.7333) gear combination on it and it hit the rev limiter, so your 16/57 (3.5625) is probably pretty close.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Dave Barlass

Post by Dave Barlass »

From all the various forums, my clone failing like that is unheard of. Pulled the head off and the cylinder looks good so I can only suspect that the big end seized for some reason. Hey- what do you expect for $89! :D But it did run well.
Broke the L0206 in today on the stand for 1/2 hr and after a break-in session on the track it should be ready to go tonight. Little swarf in the oil and I like the magnetic drain plug, though in an all aluminum engine it might be useless. ;)

Dave Barlass

Post by Dave Barlass »

Engine ran very well tonight. Easy to start and idles nicely.
Went from 16-58 down to 16-55 and still hitting the rev limiter before end of straight. :roll:
Jack pulled out to pass Dan and the engine bogged as it hit 6100rpm. :shock: Still managed to pass though Dan made a good effort to pass back but Jack chopped him off and drove away. :D Engine seems to have a broad power range and looks to be fairly maintenance free. Should be a good alternative to the old Hondas.
Looking forward to Sunday's race! :twisted: