July WCC

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Dave Barlass

July WCC

Post by Dave Barlass »

Are there going to be enough entries to have a Senior 4 Stroke (LO206) class in the WCC to be held here? There was not a class in BC.

And can anybody explain why the weight is 340 lbs for ASN, 345 for WCC and 350 for CKRC.

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Re: July WCC

Post by John Kwong »

Dave,

I would expect some entries from Saskatchewan and hopefully the ones we have here will enter. You only need six to make a class.

The weights for CKRC were done to accommodate the local scene. Not sure why ASN and WCC weights are different from each other. Not surprised though.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

VANBEI.J

Post by VANBEI.J »

Hello Dave,

For Sure there will be a Senior 4 Stroke class in Saskatoon as we are enjoying great numbers here in our class with very exciting racing.

So far we have 15 racers racing in our class and it looks like several more are joining us as I seen 7 more engines lined up at Gary Lanzer our Briggs Dealer....

The Briggs has outsurprised everyone here at our club in many aspects,

The engine is compared to the old Honda (your Clones ????? ) very quick, especially in the low RPM range and has been a GREAT equilizer.......

As a previous Rotax driver I am personally very impressed with this new class. No longer will it be about how much $$$$$ you spend in order to be quick but it will be up to the driver instead and who doesn't want that....

I received my engine last Friday Night at 630 after work. Took the box home with all my parts, mounted the enginemount, clutch, header, rlv, wrapped the header and rlv, added oil. Installed onto my kart, hooked up the fuel line and one pull and voila she purred......

So being biased now and clueless at why you folks in Calgary even want to entertain a clone class.......folks buy the L206 package, its inexpensive..........and see you in Saskatoon for some awesome racing.....

Now why the discrepencies in weights I don't know....If ASN Canada has a weight in place then WCC should follow that no questions........simplify.......In Saskatoon we follow the ASN Canada Rules.......if that is how it will be at the WCC event in Saskatoon I don't know.......I'm sure it will be announced in the Event Information that will come out shortly so keep a watch out for that.

Jerry
Senior 4S #79

Dave Barlass

Post by Dave Barlass »

I have also been very impressed with the LO206.
It was quick right out of the box. I am afraid to touch it in case I screw it up!
Surprised quite a few people.
Our Mychron 4 calculates hp/torque and the curves are very good.
It is unfortunate that there have been so many changes to the engines in Senior 4 Stroke over the past few years as many are hesitant to change engines once again. However this looks like a very good package and hopefully dealer support will be there.
Unfortunately we cannot come out to Saskatoon but perhaps a few of you can make it to Calgary or we may not have enough to make a class here.

robkozakowski

Post by robkozakowski »

I was thinking of making a trip to Saskatoon from Edmonton for the next WCC event to run the senior class - unfortunately I won't be able to make the Calgary event. It's good to hear that I shouldn't be wasting my time if I do go. Anybody from Saskatoon want to give out any "ballpark" gearing secrets for the LO206 at that track??? All I've done is fire up my engine on the stand so far because we don't run the LO206 in Edmonton.

It would be nice if all the clubs offered something similar to run, but with Edmonton running the "Outlaw" 4-cycles, we're apparently screwing up any hopes of that. FWIW, I think Calgary's done the right thing at the Club level by providing a place for all the 4-cycles to play. The Calgary-spec clone that I built to get on the track in Edmonton is so cheap and simple that I think it was a real good option for Calgary to get people into the sport as cheap as you possibly can. The LO206 is great value too, but it's still a few bucks more than the clones. Personally, I'd rather be running the clones in Edmonton than the "Outlaws". While an Outlaw for $1,200 is pretty good value for the relative performance you get from them, I'd be just as happy running a $300 clone.

Dan Lazar
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Lazar
City/Town: Victoria BC

Post by Dan Lazar »

DML..
Last edited by Dan Lazar on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Barlass

Post by Dave Barlass »

I talked to Joey yesterday and he has engines in stock and has already sold about 15 of them so we should see more on the track in the coming races.
Not much experience here in Canada with the LO206 but in the States they seem to be popular and the various internet forums are not full of complaints. Keeping the revs down to 6100 has to be a lot easier on the engine than letting them rev to 8K or more.
One weak spot is the needle and seat which tends apprarently to dry out and not seal properly causing carburetor problems.
Even buying a new bottom end each year at $300 is quite reasonable compared to $1300 or $1400 every couple of years for a Jr2 4-stroke Honda. But I can see buying a new engine each year as a race engine and using last year's as a practice engine. The difference between a new bottom end and a complete engine is small.
ASN has the LO206 as a class at the Nationals (if that means anything!).
But at the club level we should probably phase out existing alternate engines to ease the burden of the change over, keeping in mind that this is just club racing for the pure fun of it. We should allow our members to use up their existing engines. This year's CKRC Senior 4 Stroke class seems to be a good compromise with some good competition amongst a variety of engine packages.
See you Sunday! 8-)

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Okay back to the original forum post topic. I think there will be a significant presence of LO206's racing at the skatoon round of the WCC. Their club has been more 4-cycle focused than the other regions and would seem to have embraced the LO206 from the get-go. Will we see many of them travel for the Calgary round? It is hard to say as the class is very low level in cost and travelling to a race is always expensive especially with the price of gas these days. We already know there probably won't be anybody from BC with an LO206, so that leaves a couple local racers and whoever comes from Saskatchewan or Manitoba. It is the first year for this class and so far it shows promise.

Rob K,

If you happen to come down with your CKRC spec clone we would be happy to have you. Numbers of racers so far this year have been pretty good with solid competition and close racing. The weather forecast so far is looking to be in our favour and I am hoping we continue to build our numbers.

Dan,

LO206 runs heads up against the clone and the stock Animal at the same weight. It is Denny's fire-breathing ;) WKA Stock engine that has the extra 25lbs.

Everyone,

I hope to be back in the competitive zone on Sunday as I have replaced my valve springs. After 8 racedays and a couple practice evenings, the old ones were 3mm shorter than the new ones. So hopefully that was the reason for its lameness in the Final at Round #2.

John K
www.johnkwong.ca

Dan Lazar
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Lazar
City/Town: Victoria BC

Post by Dan Lazar »

DML..
Last edited by Dan Lazar on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Dan,

56's on a very green track is pretty good I would say.

JK
www.johnkwong.ca