Must haves?

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
CRG63
First Name: Josh
Last Name: Gross
City/Town: Airdrie

Must haves?

Post by CRG63 »

Our little guy is Connor is starting Kid Kart and we’re trying to plan ahead a bit for what we should have at the track. What are your must haves? Not necessarily just spare parts, tools, etc. but things that make life easier at the track. Lawn chairs, canopies, a table? Don’t need to go crazy but figured I’d see what people like having around!

Tjfast
First Name: Evan
Last Name: P
City/Town: RD

Re: Must haves?

Post by Tjfast »

Welcome to the club!

Heres my shortlist.
- A nice tent. It can get windy at times so having something sturdy is great! Some tent weights are a must. Used kart tires with concrete are great.
- Good jerry cans, personally I like the VP ones and I have a battery fuel pump on top so no lifting. Might not apply as much to kid kart because of the low amount of fuel you guys use.
- A good cooler if your bringing your own food / snacks, and plenty of water / sports drinks.
- Chairs are great idea!
- A pit mat so that when you are working, if you drop a bolt you can find it quickly.
- Handheld air pump for doing tires.
- A nice sturdy table.

Hopefully this helps.

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury
City/Town: Calgary

Post by Jackmazury »

Evan hit everything right on the head. I’ll add a few things and some kid kart specifics.

Tools:
-tire gauge
-metric allen keys and wrenches
- kid kart specific - syringe with hose to drain and fill the oil
-chain lube

Pit items:
- everything Evan mentioned is a good idea
- kart stand, not absolutely required but you’ll be kicking yourself without one
- bins - I like having these so it’s easy to bring things back and forth from the track you don’t want touching carpets in your car
Shifter #30

Class Representative

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Post by John Kwong »

If you don't already have metric tools, Canadian Tire and Princess Auto are a good source to get tools. Rule of thumb is to wait for a sale as they put almost everything on sale on a rotating schedule.

Metric Wrench set (spanners)
T handle allen wrenches
Metric socket set

As mentioned before, a tire gauge but one that is 0-30 lbs.

"Mechanic" gloves or heavy duty rubber gloves to keep hands clean when working on the dirtier areas of the kart.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Tjfast
First Name: Evan
Last Name: P
City/Town: RD

Post by Tjfast »

To add to Johns list,

- https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/grea ... 81127.html (Grease monkey gloves by watson)
These gloves are my favourite nitrile glove as they are thick enough to not break when putting hands in tight spots. They have even thicker ones I think.

Jen and Don
First Name: Jennifer
Last Name: Cheung
City/Town: Sundre

Post by Jen and Don »

Have a good change of clothes :D The weather down at the track can change in the blink of an eye. We usually have a good visual of the weather coming from all directions but there have been times when it has caught all of us by surprise. Calgary forecast doesn't usually mean that this is what we get at the track. A tote full of warm clothes is a blessing at times

CRG63
First Name: Josh
Last Name: Gross
City/Town: Airdrie

Post by CRG63 »

Awesome, thanks all! Thankfully, both the wife and I were mechanics in a previous life (motorcycle and airplanes) so we have tools covered but stuff like clothes, pit mats, etc were things I hadn't thought of. Day 1 of Kid Kart tonight, gonna be fun!