Clockwise Direction with mid track chicane?

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
evannadeau
First Name: Evan
Last Name: Nadeau
City/Town: Calgary

Clockwise Direction with mid track chicane?

Post by evannadeau »

The extra bits of asphalt were added before I started racing at this new track. Is there any chance that when we go clockwise, we could try some TnTs or maybe even a race day with the midfield chicane in play? I think this would be fun to mix up the track config a little.

Thoughts?
VLR #42

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Re: Clockwise Direction with mid track chicane?

Post by Jackmazury »

Hey Evan, good topic.

The midfield chicane was horrendous, especially going the CW direction. The fast line through there was to put 2/3 of the kart in the grass over the left curb, then 1/2 in the grass over the right curb. It flows much better now with the changes.

CCW it was more awkward than anything else and required overly short gearing. The rev limiter had to be used for a lot of the straightaway using that old layout. For reference, rotax runs 12:77 roughly in senior now, on the old layout it was 11:78 roughly.

I hope we never run it again, I understand people are curious but the new layout is far superior in every way.
Shifter #30

Class Representative

evannadeau
First Name: Evan
Last Name: Nadeau

Post by evannadeau »

Thanks Jack. I figured it would be not nice in the CCW direction for the reasons you mentioned. But yes of course curious as to the possibilities.
VLR #42

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

Jacks comments are particularly for shifter; other classes didn't have as much of an issue with it.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

hoonigan
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Galecki

Post by hoonigan »

Mark, Shifter is probably least affected by it. Other classes need to gear for the chicane and sacrifice speed everywhere else... Not fun