Interested in karting looking for some info

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Jonesycgy
First Name: Ian
Last Name: Jones
City/Town: Cochrane

Interested in karting looking for some info

Post by Jonesycgy »

Hi I'm new to this forum and am not yet a member. Hoping someone can answer a few questions for me.

Might be looking at getting into karting with someone else possibly next year. I attended an Allen berg school a few or so years ago so I know I like it. Was going to come check out the racing one of these weekends this year.

My questions are about cost. Other than the obvious cost of a kart (determined by new or used), safety clothing/helmet and annual membership fees, what other costs should I expect to be needing to pay. Ie...race day fees, transponder, tires(how long do they last), motor maintenance, whatever else I'm missing.

Are the volunteer hours reset to zero every year?

if one decides to start karting in the brigs class can I just switch the motor to change to the rotax class later or is it a different chassis?

Sorry for so many questions on my first post.
Thanks

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Interested in karting looking for some info

Post by SteveO »

Hi,

I'll take first kick at answering your questions. It all depends on what class you are looking at. Let's assume that you plan on starting with the Briggs 4 stroke class, which really is a great place to start. Some chassis will accept both the 4 stroke engine and the Rotax. Many however will not. You are probably best off purchasing a used Briggs kart, and when ready to move up to Rotax, sell it (probably for what you originally paid), and then buy a used Rotax for just a bit more cash. A new Rotax engine is quite a bit more money than an new Briggs. Hands-down the maintenance on the Briggs is significantly less. Change the oil after a day at the track, and you're good to go. Rotax requires significantly more maintenance and cost. If you don't want to be a slave to your kart, go Briggs. If you love tinkering, then the Rotax will keep you busy.

Many Briggs drivers just use used Rotax tires from the discard lot, and don't pay for tires. But a new set of Mojo's should last for the duration of the year. Rotax karts go through a couple of sets a year. New Mojo tires are roughly $300 for a set.

A used transponder can be had for approximately $150 - $200. The new ones come on a subscription basis and are more costly. Many people are running transponders that are well over 10 years old, and seem to last forever.

The volunteer hours are reset every year. It's not too difficult to work them off however. Club membership allows you unlimited test & tune opportunities. Every Tuesday & Thursday evening will have a marshal at the track allowing you to put in as many laps as you want. Race fees are $100 per event assuming you have a membership. If you don't have a club membership, then you'd have to pay the day membership fee which is an additional $80.

Hopefully I've answered some of your questions. I'm sure someone else will hit on anything I've missed. Don't hesitate to ask questions or come out to the track to talk to the drivers. We're usually quite happy to talk karts to anyone that'll listen. However, the Briggs guys have far more time to chat on a race weekend!

SteveO
Stephen Orton

Jonesycgy
First Name: Ian
Last Name: Jones
City/Town: Cochrane

Post by Jonesycgy »

Thanks for answering my questions SteveO

Hellcat
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Galecki

Post by Hellcat »

Jusr clarifying what Steve already said about virtually unlimited track time.
Test and tunes are scheduled for Tuesday's and Thursday's with designated marshals, but that doesn't limit you to those days.
Pretty much most Friday's, Saturdays and some Sunday's depending on race scheduled members are practicing.

10 Race fees, couple sets of tires, membership, fuel, few sprockets, extra chain or two, lube, maybe a set of brake pads and few other misc parts shouldn't exceed $2500 per season.
That's for the Briggs, rotax would go thru more tires, fuel and other consumables as well so the cost would be bit higher but not that much more.

Replacement Briggs is about 650-700, not sure how long one last before you need to put a fresh one on (2? 3 seasons?).

Rotax needs rebuilds at authorized dealer, since ours was new last year it only took rings this time which was fairly inexpensive.
Maybe someone will have more info about engines and cost of ownership.

After racing cars for 10+ years I have to say karting is unappreciated for what it has to offer.
The track is new and it's an ongoing project but the club is well run and things will only get better.
Chris

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

To clarify Hellcats' clarification....

A new Briggs, by the time you put a clutch, pipe and muffler on it is over $900 with exchange as it is. However even with generous amounts of practice, a motor is good for several seasons. When it's 'tired' a new, sealed block is bought (~$400) and you take all your ignition, carb, shrouds and cylinder head off the old unit and bolt it all onto the new block and go racing again.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

JordanC17
First Name: Jordan
Last Name: Cochran
City/Town: Okotoks

Post by JordanC17 »

I have a question which may also help the OP. I'm looking to get a practice membership this year ($300), do I also need to pay the volunteer amount ($550)? On the sign up page it says the volunteer amount is mandatory, but I have been told it's not for the practice membership.

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Post by SteveO »

If you are just getting the Practice Membership, the Volunteer Amount does NOT apply.
You also do have voting privileges. <--corrected after John Kwong straightened me out!

SteveO
Last edited by SteveO on Fri May 13, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Orton

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Post by John Kwong »

Actually, you do have voting privileges at club meetings as a Practice Member. If you plan on entering any CKRC racing events you must pay for a 1 Day Racing Membership which gives you a Racing License for that day.

John Kwong
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/