Some Questions From a Newbie

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
gixxer08
First Name: Jimmy
Last Name: Lam
City/Town: Calgary

Some Questions From a Newbie

Post by gixxer08 »

Hey guys,

looking to finally get into a hobby i've wanted to do for a long time and really looking to dive in this season. Just wondering if a 125cc Shifter Kart would be able to fit into a 2000 Honda Odyssey van with a little disassembly? Also I realize annual membership fees are around $400 but is there a fee required for every race you enter and if so how much is that? I realize 125cc Shifter is probably not the best class for a beginner but i'm on a limited budget and there is a pretty good deal on one, it's also the class that I would like to compete in. I plan to take all the Race Schools available this season and was wondering if we would need to provide our own karts for these schools?

Thanks in advance for any help, looking forward to seeing you all out there!

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Re: Some Questions From a Newbie

Post by John Kwong »

Hi Jimmy,

I will answer your questions in order.
if a 125cc Shifter Kart would be able to fit into a 2000 Honda Odyssey van
Yes, probably if you take off the wheels and at least one of the side pods and maybe the rear bumper which if it is the full width one(required) will be about 53" wide
is there a fee required for every race you enter and if so how much is that?
Yes, race fees are $100/raceday which gets you Practice, Qualifying, Pre-Final race and and a Final race.
I realize 125cc Shifter is probably not the best class for a beginner but i'm on a limited budget and there is a pretty good deal on one
This statement is a bit of a conundrum. Shifter is not for beginners generally and if you do not have any prior motorsport experience such as snowmobiling, motocross or something physically similar you will most likely be overwhelmed by the performance of a shifter kart. We have seen people underestimate the physicality of driving the shifter kart they just bought and ended up selling it shortly after without experiencing the real fun of kart racing.
A good deal is relative to what you know about the equipment you are buying. Please consult some club members before making a purchase that might cost you more than you bargained for because the equipment is dated or not raced locally anymore.

If you continue to want to get a shifter kart, I would suggest joining the club with an Annual Track Pass which is slightly cheaper at $300 and gets you a ton of track time to hone your skills before racing and doesn't have any of the Refundable Volunteer Fee requirements. To be able to race we have a minimum lap time and general proficiency that you must eclipse to be able to race competitively so that you are not a danger to the existing racers.
I plan to take all the Race Schools available this season and was wondering if we would need to provide our own karts for these schools?
There is only the Rookie School next Saturday which is mostly to acclimatize new racers to the raceday schedule and the rules and regulations of our sanctioning body ASN Canada. You do need your own kart to participate in the on track portion of the Rookie School.

John Kwong
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

Without experience in karting, I'm not sure shifter would be the best class to start in, and with a tight budget as well, it would definitely be wise to do some research. Tire budget would be about double what you would use in a Rotax, and likely four or five times higher than a four stroke. Fuel would also be much higher. General maintenance on a shifter is also much more, due to the higher stresses, as well as more vibration. This doesn't mean starting out in a shifter is a definite no, some have done it and progressed fairly quickly, others have expected to be at the front right away, and left without finishing a season. Have you tried a kart previously? If not the Try A Kart program is a very affordable way to gain some insight into the sport without the commitment of purchasing a kart.

Phil

Murr15
First Name: Murray
Last Name: Hanna

Post by Murr15 »

So you have heard from probably the 2 most experienced and knowledgeable people in the club. I'll give you my opinion from a guy who raced full time first time last year but practices the year before. If budget is really your number 1 concern stay away from the shifter it will eat you up, never mind fuel, tires will also cost more. I don't know how many sets a shifter would go through but if your going to practice and race it will be a lot.
You could get into a 4 stroke easily for the price of a shifter. I have just bought my first set of new tires for my 4 stroke and I only did that because we switched brands this year. Before that I ran the throw aways from the shifters and rotax guys, that's right I bought zero tires, well my kids got new ones, but not Dad.
Now is the shifter faster and more powerful absolutely!!! I have never been in one or even a rotax,it looks fun. but I'll tell you what starting, going down the front straight mid pack of about 20 or 30 four strokes is no joke, it is a rush. Hell even doing it from the back is a blast, you can get the thrill of racing in a four stroke for half the money, we are a good group of guys always wanting to help at test and tunes to make you faster (I'm still getting lots of help and now I can see John on race day......for about half a lap). Anyway really think about the four stroke it's a great cheaper way to race and usually has the biggest grids. You'll get some skills and learn the track then go to a shifter or rotax.

Murray
Team Hanna
#24 JR14 Stroke
#14 JR2 4 Stroke
#14 SR 4 Stroke