Track Direction

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer
City/Town: Calgary

Track Direction

Post by Fred »

Its that time of year again to decide track direction .. I heard last year from a fair amount of people that they would like to run CW more often for a change..

I am open to discussion but in light of that what do you think of this ?

1. CW
2.3.ABSO CW
4. CW
5.6.CCW
7.CCW
8.9.CCW
10. CW
13. CW
ENDURO. CW

Thoughts ?

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong

Re: Track Direction

Post by John Kwong »

Looks good. Also, if a rain date is used, the start lights stay where they are and won't be changed to reflect whatever race and track direction the rain date is replacing if it is different.

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Fred

Post by Fred »

Correct .. the rain date will be ran in the current track configuration that is being used at that time.

pauldeadman
First Name: paul
Last Name: deadman
City/Town: Okotoks

Post by pauldeadman »

thumbs up from George :)

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

This is a tough one. We probably see more incidents going CCW, but the severity of the incidents is typically much higher going CW, especially in the 1-2-3 section. I prefer to drive the track CW, but prefer to race it CCW. I'm not sure of CW with the bigger fields we will see for the AB shootout. If we do use CW for this, and maybe a good suggestion anyhow, is to put further protection on the run down the hill to tic-tac-toe, as there is still a significant risk of a kart going cross traffic on the exit of the right hander down the hill. The track also needs substantial fill on the edge of the track in several areas. Ultimately my vote is with whatever the sup regs state when they are done, and the racing will be great either way.

Phil

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Post by Jackmazury »

I’d vote for a more even split. Maybe one more CW then last year. CW eats tires, I’ve found I’ve gotten about half the tire life especially on the front left in this direction. Like Phil said I also think the track races better CCW which is better for the big fields as you can pass into both hairpins, as well as into 5 and out of 6. CW the only real spots to pass is into 5 and into 1. Ultimately whatever the membership decides is the best decision, just my 0.02
Shifter #30

Class Representative

Murr15
First Name: Murray
Last Name: Hanna

Post by Murr15 »

Works for Team Hanna

Fred

Post by Fred »

Interesting Jack !

Can anyone else attribute and concur on the higher tire wear problem racing the CW DIRECTION or is this just a Shifter anomaly ?

Joey Guyon
First Name: Joey
Last Name: Guyon

Post by Joey Guyon »

Good chat guys. I kinda forgot obout the increased tire wear since I like CW in shifter so much.

In shifter the back straight is 4-5-6 while turning slight right, then 6-5-4-3 while turning harder right (and sliding) into the hairpin.

Would be interesting to hear if this is even a thing in any other class. In Briggs they take a more traditional line there and Rotax might be only slightly increased wear.

Good point tho Jack

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Post by Jackmazury »

Agreed joey. I like driving the CW direction more, however I know Alan was getting about 8 laps to a front left last year CW in shifter. The briggs the wear is definitely more than CCW however not as noticeable. Still I find I’m rotating tires on briggs a lot more in the CW direction. Sometimes halfway through a day. I attribute this solely to the speed of turn 1 after the straight. Might just be me but would be interested to hear if others experience the same thing.
Shifter #30

Class Representative