Track Direction

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Re: Track Direction

Post by phil »

Thanks for the reminder, Jack. Alan couldn't complete a race day in the CW direction on a new set of tires. I think the axle change will have helped that some, but it is definitely going to be much more expensive running with more CW races, and I don't know what it would do for the Enduro either.

Phil

Mariogim
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Gimenez
City/Town: Calgary

Post by Mariogim »

Hello everyone and for what its worth, I find much more tire wear in the CW direction. I try and run my tires for two race weekends and then use them for practice sessions. When running in the CW direction I can barely finish the second race weekend and the tires are done. On one occasion the outside rear tire was down to the cords. my personal preference is for more CCW races than CW.

JChan
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Chan

Post by JChan »

Matthew and I prefer to start the season CCW. Our karts also used more tires going CW especially the rotax. I would be lucky to get two race days from a new set.

SteveO
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Orton

Post by SteveO »

Personally, I like a 50/50 split simply for the variety.

But if we are destroying tires that quickly going in the CW direction, it begs the question, are we using the correct tires in the first place?!?!?
Stephen Orton

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Post by Jackmazury »

Good question Steve. I think we’d see similarly increased wear regardless of what tire is used simply due to the extra heat and push generated from that first section as well as the downhill right in to tic Tac toe. The speed of the two stroke karts make wear in those sections inevitable in my opinion
Shifter #30

Class Representative

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

OK Fascinating...

Should we then run a CCW Circuit always ? (Like EDKRA do on their circuit) Or do we accept that its a fact of racing that you will go through more tires? (Joey im sure would sell you more )

Like Steve said are we using the wrong tires ? (This year we are stuck with the Vegas but should we be looking for harder compounds for next year and beyond ?)

Shifters are a bit of an anomaly anyhow as they are probably using the softest tire compounds they can find. (Do we now also mandate they have to run club designated one make hard tires in the future ?)

Good talking points ... keep them coming.

Mariogim
First Name: Mario
Last Name: Gimenez

Post by Mariogim »

I think that going only in the CCW would be a bit drastic as a little variety is always nice and keeps us sharp. I would like to still see races in both directions, but more in the CCW just to try and keep tire costs in check.
Cheers.
Mario

pauldeadman
First Name: paul
Last Name: deadman
City/Town: Okotoks

Post by pauldeadman »

George loves CW and would like to see more in that direction. Tires don't affect us so we would just like to say if 1 more CW race was added that would be good.

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Post by Jackmazury »

I’m of the same train of thought as Paul. The same amount or one more CW race this year would be ideal and I think that’s a mutual ground between all parties. I think the tire compounds we have now are a good balance of price, performance, and durability. Making hard tires the spec doesn’t really help anyone I don’t think. If anything the karts would become more difficult to drive and there would be more incidents, especially in shifters, a class where performance is the main draw, slapping a harder tire, or getting rid of the open tire rule and making a harder compound mandatory would kill the class.
Shifter #30

Class Representative

phil
First Name: phil
Last Name: haggerty
City/Town: high river

Post by phil »

Paul, just for clarity- last year we had 3 CW - your thinking 4 for this year? I think I would agree with that.

Phil