Rookie Seeking Feedback: Post T&T Questions

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
Cabel
First Name: Cabel
Last Name: McElderry
City/Town: Red Deer

Rookie Seeking Feedback: Post T&T Questions

Post by Cabel »

Was so great to meet a few of you last night, thanks for the intros and so great to finally get on the track!

Few small problems, big opportunities to learn thank to Joey and Jesse for the saves!

Some questions:

Obviously my driving has a lot to be desired just yet but I found I really struggled with the back end of the kart wanting to slide out and kind of bogging/stuttering in the corners especially the twisty section (would that be 6, 7 & 8?), I'm sure my driving is the biggest factor but I had some questions about kart setup since I bought it from someone much different height/weight than me:

1) Jose from EDKRA who I bought my kart from was quite a bit taller, I find my reach to the steering wheel I can't hold comfortable at 9 and 3 and kind of end up at 8 and 4), I'm thinking I can't get good weight transfer to lift the inner tire on corners, does this seem right? Anything I can/should do to alter my seat position to make my steering position more comfortable? (Struggling to find much clarity on this via google.)

2) Jose swapped the axle, was supposed to give me the other but hasn't yet not sure when we'll connect, I'm thinking based on his size and weight he went stiffer, will this hinder my ability to lift the rear tire? Could I should I narrow the rear track? (Someone also mentioned my chassis is actually a rotax chassis w/ a briggs, would this chassis be stiffer to accommodate the extra weight/torque of the rotax and would that hinder my ability to flex it in the corners given my shorter stature and lower CG?)

3) Presently no stabilizer bar in front or back, would a front bar possibly help me get more rear tire lift?

4) I had my tire pressures about 10-11 last night, looking at the wear looks like pretty good contact patch overall but seemed like everyone I spoke to was running more like 14-15, that seems like would make my problem worse, but maybe I'm just thinking like you would in a car. Suggestions? (Same vega greens for tires as everyone else) Should I increase all around? Leave the same? Increase the fronts by a couple pounds?

Thanks for the input!

John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

Re: Rookie Seeking Feedback: Post T&T Questions

Post by John Kwong »

Hi Cabel,

Welcome to the CKRC and the great world of kart racing!

1. The seat position is probably the most important part to get right from the beginning. All other chassis adjustments will not work correctly with out proper weight distribution. There are two things you can do. If the weight distribution is correct with where the seat is then you can move the pedals back and/or add a steering wheel spacer(s) to get the steering wheel closer to you.

2. On chassis with 30mm frame rails a stiffer axle will take away rear grip. So if you have the stiffer axle in there it may have felt like the kart was oversteering. Even if your chassis was a Rotax chassis, that is not a problem. Many racers are using Tony Karts that were previously Rotax karts. Even though we are allowed to go out to 55" on rear track width, 52"- 53" is a good place to start. Additional seat struts will affect grip level and weight transfer as well.

3. A front bar is pretty common on most chassis but is generally used in higher grip situations to give the front end enough grip to sustain jacking action throughout the corner. Almost no one uses a rear bar anymore.

4. 10-11 lbs for tire pressure is pretty low considering the low temperatures that we are driving in this Spring. At this low pressure you were not able to create enough temperature to get the tires to warm up and grip the track.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

John Kwong
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury
City/Town: Calgary

Post by Jackmazury »

Hey cabel,

Johns advice is very good, he has decades of karting experience. If your out next week and I’ve got a minute im happy to see if we can sort out some of the issues your having, feel free to flag me down if you see me walking around the paddock.

Jack
Shifter #30

Class Representative

Cabel
First Name: Cabel
Last Name: McElderry
City/Town: Red Deer

Post by Cabel »

Thanks guys great info! Can’t wait to get out next T&T and see what happens.