Hello everyone! New to Karting!

This is the place for general conversations related to karting.
Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
MHaddon
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Haddon
City/Town: Calgary

Hello everyone! New to Karting!

Post by MHaddon »

Hello!

My Name is Michael and I’m new to the karting scene. It has been a life long dream of mine and I’m glad I finally made the choice to buy a kart and get involved.

I recently purchased a Sr kart package with a LO206 motor and I intend on practicing a lot first, and then one day after I learn a bit, get into a few races.

Currently I know I require a front push back bumper, and I have an older kart, so that’s one hurdle.

I know I must find a transponder.

What are some other stipulations.

Tires?
Race equipment?

I hope to see you at the track, and I can’t wait to get out there and get a few hundred laps in.

Cabel
First Name: Cabel
Last Name: McElderry
City/Town: Red Deer

Re: Hello everyone! New to Karting!

Post by Cabel »

Hi Michael, i’m New this year too, and though I can’t help you with any of that looking forward to meeting you at the track!

Jackmazury
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Mazury

Post by Jackmazury »

Hi Michael,

First off welcome,

The pushback bumper has a 3 race grace period, it will be required following the ABSO in Calgary. As far as tires go for lo206 you will be required to run the max one green tire. Racing equipment you must have high top shoes and a closed face smell m2010 or newer helmet. Other snell 2010 certifications work as well whether that be kart or Motorsport. A racing suit is pretty much a must have, these can be had for cheap. As well you’ll want basic tools such as (metric) sockets, Allen keys and wrenches. If you plan to race in the rain a second set of wheels with rain tires mounted are crucial as swapping tires to your dry rims can be a hassle especially if the track dries enough to require slicks as the day goes on. Joey at overdrive as well as the classifieds forum are a good resource for all of this. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Look forward to seeing you at the track,

Jack
Shifter #30

Class Representative

MHaddon

Post by MHaddon »

Jack & Cabel

Thanks for reaching out, will be great to meet you at the track,

Thanks for the heads up on the tires and rims, will keep an eye out for them as well as a race suit.

I do have a motorcycle helmet that is snell rated so that will get me by for a little while.

Today just disassembled the kart a little bit to become more familiar with the kart and the wrenching process. I’m glad to see the wrenching that I do for work will easily translate to the kart.

One other question, do I have to take any sort of course or get some sort of license to race?

Thanks

Michael

flexiflier
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Lazar

Post by flexiflier »

Hello Michael Can you get it to the track tomorrow or thurs when the gate is open and a legal marshal is there Get on motorsportReg and get driving as a tnt driver Dan

MHaddon

Post by MHaddon »

flexiflier wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:08 am Hello Michael Can you get it to the track tomorrow or thurs when the gate is open and a legal marshal is there Get on motorsportReg and get driving as a tnt driver Dan
Sorry won’t be able to for at least a week or two,

I’m in the middle of modifying my truck to fit the kart, and I broke down the kart to do a bunch of maintenance, just to see where the kart was at, it needed a good clean, and a bit of love.

Then Test and Tune time

But without a doubt I will be out at the track. See you guys soon

And I will he singing up for the CKRC membership, and register online.

Talk to you guys soon

flexiflier
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Lazar

Post by flexiflier »

Hey michael Then show at the track when you can but tue and thurs the gate is open to all and you can get on it all eve fot tntune times in motorsportreg C We are all there with all your needed answers Cheers dan

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

Michael

Please E mail me at [email protected] ....you will need to study and sit the Rookie School exam ..